The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

600 shots into a new A900...some observations

J

jonesfred

Re: 600 shots into a new A900...dust .....

I'm a new member and also a new owner of the Sony A900. I am interested in the comment that:

"The in-body dust reducer sounds and feels real nice...but...I picked up two dust spots the first time I switched lenses...and can't get rid of them."

The same has happened to me, but I have lots of small dust spots that are most visible on skies when apertures of F16 and F22 have been used (which isn't often). When I take shots at F5.6 through F11, the dust spots aren't visible. However, for a short time, I got a really large dust spot that the sensor shaker couldn't remove immediately, and this was quite visible even at apertures of F5.6 and F8.

So are the dust spots you describe visible at wider apertures (which means they may be large spots) or can you only see them when you use smaller apertures, such as F16 and F22? If the dust spots aren't visible at the wider apertures, then to me, the dust problem isn't that significant and perhaps needs only to be dealt with when dust is showing on all the shots you take. Does anyone agree with this approach?

Fred

edwardkaraa

I've had the A900 for 6-7 weeks now and 1000 shots done, I am just starting to see 1 single large dust spot which is by far better than my previous cameras. I have not even done an air blower sensor cleaning yet. For me, anything less than 10 visible spots is better dealt with in software.

J

jonesfred

I've had the A900 for 6-7 weeks now and 1000 shots done, I am just starting to see 1 single large dust spot which is by far better than my previous cameras. I have not even done an air blower sensor cleaning yet. For me, anything less than 10 visible spots is better dealt with in software.
Yes, I think I could tolerate a single large dust spot if it only appeared on say F16 and F22 exposures, but if it was on all images, even those taken at wide apertures such as F5.6, then it must be a very large spot that an air blower may be able to remove. Although I usually have sucess in removing dust spots using the healing brush tool in Photoshop, I wouldn't like to have a large dust spot that is visible on all images that I take.

Fred