The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GetDPI and Flickr are no more playing nicely together ?

Annna T

It seems that Flickr and GetDPI are no more playing nicely together :

I'm now getting a strong phishing alert each time I'm trying to view the full size of pictures stored at Flickr. This with any picture of anybody.

I got that first while using an iPad and Safari (last version of IOS and Safari). I thought may be it was due to the fact that the iPad tries to launch the Flickr app from inside the browser.

Problem with iPad and Safari by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

I clicked on the link saying "Announce an error" and then was brought to a page with a google logo !! why is Google interfering here ? is there any link between the forum and google ? is the forum a Google group ?

Sans titre by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

Thinking the problem was related to the iPad, I tried opening full sized Flickr images from my desktop (Window 10 and Firefox both last version, with Norton AV up to date installed).

Here is what I get :

Problem with link to Flickr in GetDPI by rrr_hhh, sur Flickr

Question : am I the only one getting those warnings ? Are there any known vulnerabilities known with Flickr pages ? is it safe to bypass that alert ? Is it just the result of a war between the big internet players ?

Thanks for sharing your experiences in this matter.

Edit : I clicked on the "Why is this site blocked" in order to know more and here is what is said :

How does Phishing and Malware Protection work in Firefox?

Phishing and Malware Protection works by checking the sites that you visit against lists of reported phishing, unwanted software and malware sites. These lists are automatically downloaded and updated every 30 minutes or so when the Phishing and Malware Protection features are enabled.

When you download an application file, Firefox checks the site hosting it against a list of sites known to contain “malware”. If the site is found on that list, Firefox blocks the file immediately, otherwise it asks Google’s Safe Browsing service if the software is safe by sending it some of the download’s metadata.*
* Windows users: This online check will only be performed in Firefox on Windows for those downloaded files that don’t have a known good publisher. Most of the common and safe software for Windows is signed and so this final check won’t always need to happen.

Last edited:
Dang. It's happening with images I've embedded and/or linked from Flickr too. Looks like something the Admin will have to sort out (probably an update to the hosting software.)

Mike

wattsy

Seems to also be causing a problem with links out to third party websites (e.g. those in signatures). All such links (e.g. to Tumblr or Flickr) are going to a page complaining about malware.

Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 14.19.56.jpg

ecsh

Not easy for the site to work out, but all we have to do is click Ignore warning, and its gone for good for any of the pics i look at linked to Flickr

k-hawinkler

Not easy for the site to work out, but all we have to do is click Ignore warning, and its gone for good for any of the pics i look at linked to Flickr
I won't do that in case a Flickr page is actually infected. :shocked:

Annna T

I won't do that in case a Flickr page is actually infected. :shocked:
Look at Bob's explanations (follow the link I provided three posts above) :

1) not only Flickr is blocked, but all links provided in a post to the forum will drive you to this page.
2) the problem seems to be that one link provided by GetDPI was driving to malware and so any outgoing link from GetDPI will be blocked. If you know that the website is secure, you can bypass the warning page.

It still bugs me, because the workaround I was using to embed BBcode while posting Flickr images from the iPad is no more working.. So I have to launch the desktop.

Last edited:

Annna T

Not sure why this thread is here?
I crosspossed the first mail here and in the site talk forum. I did so because the site talk forum is quasi inactive. Four posts above I linked to the other thread, but apparently some people hadn't read it.

At least it brings a little life in the Sony forum which seems to be on a down slide with barely 5-10 messages a day.