The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wet Sensor Cleaning leaving Streaks! Help!

jpaulmoore

Hello all,
About to leave town for a few days of photography in the Smoky Mountains so I decided to do a wet clean (Aero-clipse fluid) on my Sony A7rii, due to some persistent dust being left on the sensor after blowing. This was my first time to wet clean the sensor on my Sony A7rii so I was not too concerned about doing it. I have performed this with no issues on my backup A7r using the regular Eclipse fluid. After doing the wet clean I noticed streaking, which covered a great deal of the sensor. I tried it again and the results were similar. Anybody else have issues with this? I am using the Sensorswab Ultra Type 3. It did seem to me that applying the fluid to the sensor that it seems thinner (more watery) and that it was so slick that it almost seemed there was a lubricant in it.

I have a support ticket in with Sony Pro support but I thought I would check in with you all. I will try attaching a file of a blue sky to show you what I am seeing.
Kind Regards,
J. Paul Moore

Attachments

V

Vivek

I use Ethanol and a lens cleaning cloth after making sure there are no dust particles in or around the cleaning area. You may not be able to do it though. In that event get professional help.

jpaulmoore

I have resolved the issue. After speaking with the David Stone (he called me) the owner of Photosol, Inc. The makers of Eclipse, he gave me some great information. The newer Aero-clipse is much thinner in consistency and so it takes more to dampen the Sensor Swab. Some of this relates to the newer Sensor Swab Ultra having more layers/padding, so more is absorbed. David also suggested applying more pressure when swabbing the sensor to eliminate the streaking. David, also said that they are now going back to recommending the previous Eclipse fluid (in addition to Aero-clipse) after further testing, and have had no issues at all with it. I simply used the Eclipse fluid that I already had on hand and it cleaned the sensor perfectly on the first try.