The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Yosemite in Color with the A7

ggibson

I took a trip to Yosemite with the family back in April, and I thought I'd share some of my favorite shots. I brought my A7, 16-35/4, 28/2, 55/1.8, and 24-240. The 24-240 was a great lens to have in my bag, since this was a family trip and I couldn't always stop to find the best framing or location from which to shoot. I had been to Yosemite in late summer a few times, but it was a whole other experience visiting in the spring with the waterfalls at their fullest. Seeing water cascading down the Royal Arches was very cool, since that flow has never been active when I was there in the past. All in all, it was a great time to visit. Full album link below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamgibson/albums/72157667952174436

Upper Yosemite Falls

Upper Yosemite Falls between the trees

Yosemite Valley View

Steller's Jay (taken with my 55mm!)

Trees and Rock

Lower Yosemite Falls

The Royal Arches

The Looming Presence of Half Dome

Lower Yosemite Falls

pegelli

Thanks for sharing Graham. I've only been there once (1982) but every time I see nice photos like these the good memories from 34 years ago come back. The waterfalls are indeed impressive, much bigger then I remember from our visit which was in October.

ggibson

Thanks! I'm lucky enough to live in the Bay Area, so only 3-4 hours drive from the park. Even so, I don't get out there as often as I should. It's truly a remarkable place. After visiting in the spring and seeing how different it was from late summer, I'd love to go in the fall and winter now too.

algrove

Graham
Nice series. You mention A7. Does that mean you have the 24MP A7? To me 24MP is the sweet spot for street and candid/family shoots. Wow, 24-240. Must be a beast.

ggibson

Thank you. Yes, I have the original A7 body. I agree, 24MP is plenty. I'd like some of the improvements they've made on subsequent bodies like faster AF and better auto-iso/min shutter implementation. But I'm waiting to see the next gen bodies before changing horses.