The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony G Master 70-200mm f/2.8

Lucille

What ever happened with this lens?

I haven't read a word on it, wasn't it suppose to be released by now?

Christopher

I was thinking the same thing today. And my next thought was, how good is the current 70-200 f4 ? I'm asking as on canon or Nikon the f4 zooms were amazing.

Annna T

I was thinking the same thing today. And my next thought was, how good is the current 70-200 f4 ? I'm asking as on canon or Nikon the f4 zooms were amazing.
I have both the Canon 70-200mm F4 and the Sony FE 70-200 F4; I prefer the Canon and regret that purchase now that the A7rm2 can do PDAF with the Metabones smart adapter. I find the Canon sharper at the longer focals. Plus the Sony is more cumbersome than the Canon which has a smaller diameter.

- - - Updated - - -

What ever happened with this lens?

I haven't read a word on it, wasn't it suppose to be released by now?
I have just read at Sonyalpharumors that the lens will be delayed until September because of the damages resulting from the Kumamoto earthquake to their plants there.

Last edited:

ohnri

It is top notch. Using Eye Detect AF puts it in a unique category which is not attainable with adapted lenses.

Of course, the big 70-200 GM has now been priced and the lens with TC's can all be pre-ordered for just ~$4,000.

hcubell

It is top notch. Using Eye Detect AF puts it in a unique category which is not attainable with adapted lenses.

Of course, the big 70-200 GM has now been priced and the lens with TC's can all be pre-ordered for just ~$4,000.
Please look at the DXO test of the FE 24-70 f/2.8. Very disappointing test result. Clearly inferior to the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 II, yet more money. WTF! Sure, go ahead and charge the big premium, but only if you can deliver the goods. Will the same apply to the FE 70-200 f/2.8?

Lucille

Please look at the DXO test of the FE 24-70 f/2.8. Very disappointing test result. Clearly inferior to the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 II, yet more money. WTF! Sure, go ahead and charge the big premium, but only if you can deliver the goods. Will the same apply to the FE 70-200 f/2.8?

I could care less about DXO, I have seen Guy's real world tests, and I have seen many images from the 24-70mm that are killer, I love its rendering, you can worry about DXO as that is your choice.

I trust the users of that lens found here more then DXO.

iiiNelson

I guess the lens is shipping now in USA. I wish Sony would back away from white optics. I genuinely despise white lens bodies. A textured matte black like the A7RII body would be preferred v. the smooth finishes on other lenses if they want to differentiate the G/GM class lenses.

Slingers

I guess the lens is shipping now in USA. I wish Sony would back away from white optics. I genuinely despise white lens bodies. A textured matte black like the A7RII body would be preferred v. the smooth finishes on other lenses if they want to differentiate the G/GM class lenses.
The white lens do attract a lot of attention. This time last year I was on a day tour to a wetland in Malaysia and I was using the 70-200/4. I attracted a group of interested tourists because they saw the colour then noticed the A7S. Then I got a lot of questions from people in my group about the lens because of the attention.

Jim DE

I'm just glad that I have no need for a lens like that because I am sure I would be standing in line like the rest willing to empty my wallet for it and TC's. This is a no brainer for me as I don't use the 70-200 f2.8 I have for my A mounts on my A mounts as it is.

Ahhh a painless and anguish free new lens introduction. At least for me. For all those in line I hope it's the best dang 70-200mm ever built!!!!

Pradeep

The white lens do attract a lot of attention. This time last year I was on a day tour to a wetland in Malaysia and I was using the 70-200/4. I attracted a group of interested tourists because they saw the colour then noticed the A7S. Then I got a lot of questions from people in my group about the lens because of the attention.
In the sea of smartphones on selfie-sticks and such, a white lens definitely stands out and may generate unwelcome attention. My wife and kids used to walk a little distance behind me when I went with mine, often telling tourists - 'we're not with him':rolleyes:

I am holding off on the Sony 70mm and beyond for now as I am waiting for the next generation of the A7 series to come up with the AF and frame rate of the a6300. I mainly use the longer zooms for wildlife and it is hard without very good AF and a rapid frame rate.

Lucille

Honey, when the HepKitty is out shooting, I attract attention regardless of a white lens....

ohnri

I'll go with actual photos. They are excellent.

Lucille

Hmm... What is your verdict?
You use fast aperture as a style element and the f2.8 is why I'm interested in this lens. It would be great if you can share your thoughts around this.
I have never been much of a zoom shooter, I always prefer primes, but of course one need s telephoto zoom. I want to give this a workout at the dragway, one of the main reasons I bought it and also for some upcoming Weddings.

The images I have seen shot wideopen at f/2.8 have incredible clarity and sharpness, this lens rocks. The lens is a tad heavy and rather unbalanced on the small A7 bodies, but I don't care, i'll use it anyways. I have had cheaper zooms on my A65 and micro 4/3rds cameras, never have I had one that renders like the 70-200mm G Master. It renders in a special way. I took a quick image of the sky as the sun was headed down, I just liked the way it looked and wanted to see how this lens would render, and I found it to be lovely, this was shot at f/2.8:

I do love shooting wideopen, and this lens gives some wonderful pop, I love its background compression and subject rendering:

I need to use it some more, this isn't going to be a lens I use a lot, yet the telephoto focal length was a hole in my lens lineup and this one fills it nicely, the few shots I have shot with it have certainly got my attention, it has it all, great subject/background separation and pop, great color and outstanding sharpness, and I have found it autofocuses fast on my A7S and A7R II, but doesn't seem to happy on my A7.

This lens wins in the IQ department, I suspect anybody that loves the 70-200mm range will just adore this lens, the look it renders, is simply special.

seb

Lucille, thanks for your short review and the pictures. Very helpful.
As you, I prefer primes. But I have the 16-35/4 + 28-70/3.5-4.5 to cover my shooting range with a zoom for situations, where I need it. So, I'm still on the fence about the telerange zoom: 70-300/3.5-5.6 G or 70-200/4 G or 70-200/2.8 GM? Maybe I should rent each for a weekend... :)
I have never been much of a zoom shooter, I always prefer primes, but of course one need s telephoto zoom. I want to give this a workout at the dragway, one of the main reasons I bought it and also for some upcoming Weddings.

The images I have seen shot wideopen at f/2.8 have incredible clarity and sharpness, this lens rocks. The lens is a tad heavy and rather unbalanced on the small A7 bodies, but I don't care, i'll use it anyways. I have had cheaper zooms on my A65 and micro 4/3rds cameras, never have I had one that renders like the 70-200mm G Master. It renders in a special way. I took a quick image of the sky as the sun was headed down, I just liked the way it looked and wanted to see how this lens would render, and I found it to be lovely...

This lens wins in the IQ department, I suspect anybody that loves the 70-200mm range will just adore this lens, the look it renders, is simply special.