The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony G Master 70-200mm f/2.8

Thanks so much Lucille for the thread and the photos! Do you know what focal lengths you were using for these shots?

Seb, I would be interested in your thoughts on these zooms when you are able to comment.

So hard to know which way to go forward, and with a possible Batis 135mm.

seb

you can read out the exif of each picture:
sky: 147mm/f2.8
driving car: 200mm/f2.8
parked car: 200mm/f2.8

The pictures of Lucille look very nice. But it's difficult to judge/compare the lens with others at the moment. We need more different shots from different people to build an opinion.

Generally, I can't help you much in this focal range.
I'm not used to tele lenses, because I like to get close to things. :) And dislike zooms, because I like the restriction and character of a prime.
But I want to have tele lenses in my setup for various occasions, where I will need one.
With the 2.8 there is no need to buy any primes in that range later.
But why not go fo the 300mm with the 70-300 and add one tele-prime when it comes out? The prize would be the same...

Thanks so much Lucille for the thread and the photos! Do you know what focal lengths you were using for these shots?

Seb, I would be interested in your thoughts on these zooms when you are able to comment.

So hard to know which way to go forward, and with a possible Batis 135mm.

Pradeep

Reviving the thread from almost a year ago.

Lucille, now that you've owned the 70-200 2.8 GM for a while, is it still your opinion that it is a darn good lens to buy?

Does anybody else have any experience with it? I am planning to get one as I shift from Canon to Sony and will be taking it for my trip to Africa next month. The new 100-400 will not be available by the time I leave and I plan to use this, maybe with the teleconverters on the A9 body.

My copy of the 24-70 is stellar without any decentralization that some have noticed. This would be the perfect compliment for it. As I said last year on this thread, I wanted to wait for a full frame version of the a6300 and the A9 fits the bill nicely.

iiiNelson

Reviving the thread from almost a year ago.

Lucille, now that you've owned the 70-200 2.8 GM for a while, is it still your opinion that it is a darn good lens to buy?

Does anybody else have any experience with it? I am planning to get one as I shift from Canon to Sony and will be taking it for my trip to Africa next month. The new 100-400 will not be available by the time I leave and I plan to use this, maybe with the teleconverters on the A9 body.

My copy of the 24-70 is stellar without any decentralization that some have noticed. This would be the perfect compliment for it. As I said last year on this thread, I wanted to wait for a full frame version of the a6300 and the A9 fits the bill nicely.
I haven't tried the GM yet but I did own the A-mount 70-200 and it was great optically. I would hope the 1.4x or 2x would be great as well.

Pradeep

I bit the bullet and got the lens. I was quite concerned with the reports of de-centering some have reported. Glad to say this copy does not suffer from any such problems. The lens is super sharp on my preliminary tests, although a tad soft wide open at 2.8. But by f4 it is superb and there is almost no perceptible difference there after. Will compare it with my current Canon versions.

Lucille

This lens is just killer! It has pop and gives me that look. One of the best lenses I own, and worth every penny.

IMO, Sony is KILLING it with the G Master series and I'll throw in the 50mm ZONY f./1.4, we have some great glass!

Pradeep

and I don't find this lens a tad soft when shot wide open, rather I find incredible sharpness.
Thanks Lucille. Love that shot BTW.

I think I am pixel-peeping too much and it was a very preliminary test with my usual target. Will have more time (hopefully) next week. I want to try it with the 1.4X and the 2X to see how it performs esp on the new A9. The reason I got the 2.8 is to be able to do that.

Funny, but this lens does not quite feel as heavy and cumbersome as my Canon 2.8 used to (one reason why I got rid of it).

Last edited:

jpaulmoore

Digital Lloyd (Lloyd Chambers) blog just posted about this lens and it got a terrible review. Could he have tested a bad lens? I have the f4 version and it's a really nice lens. It is so much better than my previous Canon 70-200 f4.
J. Paul