Site Sponsors

Thread: Sony G Master 70-200mm f/2.8

Post Thanks / Like

Sony G Master 70-200mm f/2.8

What ever happened with this lens?

I haven't read a word on it, wasn't it suppose to be released by now?
    the HepKitty

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sony G Master 70-200mm f/2.8

I was thinking the same thing today. And my next thought was, how good is the current 70-200 f4 ? I'm asking as on canon or Nikon the f4 zooms were amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I was thinking the same thing today. And my next thought was, how good is the current 70-200 f4 ? I'm asking as on canon or Nikon the f4 zooms were amazing.
    I have both the Canon 70-200mm F4 and the Sony FE 70-200 F4; I prefer the Canon and regret that purchase now that the A7rm2 can do PDAF with the Metabones smart adapter. I find the Canon sharper at the longer focals. Plus the Sony is more cumbersome than the Canon which has a smaller diameter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post

I haven't read a word on it, wasn't it suppose to be released by now?
    I have just read at Sonyalpharumors that the lens will be delayed until September because of the damages resulting from the Kumamoto earthquake to their plants there.
    Last edited by Annna T; 28th June 2016 at 10:30.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/next-...til-september/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    It is top notch. Using Eye Detect AF puts it in a unique category which is not attainable with adapted lenses.

Of course, the big 70-200 GM has now been priced and the lens with TC's can all be pre-ordered for just ~$4,000.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ohnri View Post
    It is top notch. Using Eye Detect AF puts it in a unique category which is not attainable with adapted lenses.

Of course, the big 70-200 GM has now been priced and the lens with TC's can all be pre-ordered for just ~$4,000.
    Please look at the DXO test of the FE 24-70 f/2.8. Very disappointing test result. Clearly inferior to the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 II, yet more money. WTF! Sure, go ahead and charge the big premium, but only if you can deliver the goods. Will the same apply to the FE 70-200 f/2.8?
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Please look at the DXO test of the FE 24-70 f/2.8. Very disappointing test result. Clearly inferior to the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 II, yet more money. WTF! Sure, go ahead and charge the big premium, but only if you can deliver the goods. Will the same apply to the FE 70-200 f/2.8?

I could care less about DXO, I have seen Guy's real world tests, and I have seen many images from the 24-70mm that are killer, I love its rendering, you can worry about DXO as that is your choice.

I trust the users of that lens found here more then DXO.
    the HepKitty

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess the lens is shipping now in USA. I wish Sony would back away from white optics. I genuinely despise white lens bodies. A textured matte black like the A7RII body would be preferred v. the smooth finishes on other lenses if they want to differentiate the G/GM class lenses.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I guess the lens is shipping now in USA. I wish Sony would back away from white optics. I genuinely despise white lens bodies. A textured matte black like the A7RII body would be preferred v. the smooth finishes on other lenses if they want to differentiate the G/GM class lenses.
    The white lens do attract a lot of attention. This time last year I was on a day tour to a wetland in Malaysia and I was using the 70-200/4. I attracted a group of interested tourists because they saw the colour then noticed the A7S. Then I got a lot of questions from people in my group about the lens because of the attention.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just glad that I have no need for a lens like that because I am sure I would be standing in line like the rest willing to empty my wallet for it and TC's. This is a no brainer for me as I don't use the 70-200 f2.8 I have for my A mounts on my A mounts as it is.

Ahhh a painless and anguish free new lens introduction. At least for me. For all those in line I hope it's the best dang 70-200mm ever built!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slingers View Post
    The white lens do attract a lot of attention. This time last year I was on a day tour to a wetland in Malaysia and I was using the 70-200/4. I attracted a group of interested tourists because they saw the colour then noticed the A7S. Then I got a lot of questions from people in my group about the lens because of the attention.
    In the sea of smartphones on selfie-sticks and such, a white lens definitely stands out and may generate unwelcome attention. My wife and kids used to walk a little distance behind me when I went with mine, often telling tourists - 'we're not with him'

I am holding off on the Sony 70mm and beyond for now as I am waiting for the next generation of the A7 series to come up with the AF and frame rate of the a6300. I mainly use the longer zooms for wildlife and it is hard without very good AF and a rapid frame rate.
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post

I let it full size, so you can pixel peep:

(sorry for beeing offtopic, I tried to resist)
    Flickr
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slingers View Post

Honey, when the HepKitty is out shooting, I attract attention regardless of a white lens....

the HepKitty
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    I'll go with actual photos. They are excellent.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Oh happy day, I get my lens sometime today!!!!
    the HepKitty

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Days are here Again!

Come to momma!

the HepKitty
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Meh, this lens is ok..

the HepKitty
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmm... What is your verdict?
    You use fast aperture as a style element and the f2.8 is why I'm interested in this lens. It would be great if you can share your thoughts around this.

Meh, this lens is ok..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    Hmm... What is your verdict?
    You use fast aperture as a style element and the f2.8 is why I'm interested in this lens. It would be great if you can share your thoughts around this.
    I have never been much of a zoom shooter, I always prefer primes, but of course one need s telephoto zoom. I want to give this a workout at the dragway, one of the main reasons I bought it and also for some upcoming Weddings.

The images I have seen shot wideopen at f/2.8 have incredible clarity and sharpness, this lens rocks. The lens is a tad heavy and rather unbalanced on the small A7 bodies, but I don't care, i'll use it anyways. I have had cheaper zooms on my A65 and micro 4/3rds cameras, never have I had one that renders like the 70-200mm G Master. It renders in a special way. I took a quick image of the sky as the sun was headed down, I just liked the way it looked and wanted to see how this lens would render, and I found it to be lovely, this was shot at f/2.8:

I do love shooting wideopen, and this lens gives some wonderful pop, I love its background compression and subject rendering:

I need to use it some more, this isn't going to be a lens I use a lot, yet the telephoto focal length was a hole in my lens lineup and this one fills it nicely, the few shots I have shot with it have certainly got my attention, it has it all, great subject/background separation and pop, great color and outstanding sharpness, and I have found it autofocuses fast on my A7S and A7R II, but doesn't seem to happy on my A7.

This lens wins in the IQ department, I suspect anybody that loves the 70-200mm range will just adore this lens, the look it renders, is simply special.
    the HepKitty
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lucille, thanks for your short review and the pictures. Very helpful.
    As you, I prefer primes. But I have the 16-35/4 + 28-70/3.5-4.5 to cover my shooting range with a zoom for situations, where I need it. So, I'm still on the fence about the telerange zoom: 70-300/3.5-5.6 G or 70-200/4 G or 70-200/2.8 GM? Maybe I should rent each for a weekend...
    I have never been much of a zoom shooter, I always prefer primes, but of course one need s telephoto zoom. I want to give this a workout at the dragway, one of the main reasons I bought it and also for some upcoming Weddings.

The images I have seen shot wideopen at f/2.8 have incredible clarity and sharpness, this lens rocks. The lens is a tad heavy and rather unbalanced on the small A7 bodies, but I don't care, i'll use it anyways. I have had cheaper zooms on my A65 and micro 4/3rds cameras, never have I had one that renders like the 70-200mm G Master. It renders in a special way. I took a quick image of the sky as the sun was headed down, I just liked the way it looked and wanted to see how this lens would render, and I found it to be lovely...

This lens wins in the IQ department, I suspect anybody that loves the 70-200mm range will just adore this lens, the look it renders, is simply special.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks so much Lucille for the thread and the photos! Do you know what focal lengths you were using for these shots?

Seb, I would be interested in your thoughts on these zooms when you are able to comment.

So hard to know which way to go forward, and with a possible Batis 135mm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

you can read out the exif of each picture:
    sky: 147mm/f2.8
    driving car: 200mm/f2.8
    parked car: 200mm/f2.8

The pictures of Lucille look very nice. But it's difficult to judge/compare the lens with others at the moment. We need more different shots from different people to build an opinion.

Generally, I can't help you much in this focal range.
    I'm not used to tele lenses, because I like to get close to things. And dislike zooms, because I like the restriction and character of a prime.
    But I want to have tele lenses in my setup for various occasions, where I will need one.
    With the 2.8 there is no need to buy any primes in that range later.
    But why not go fo the 300mm with the 70-300 and add one tele-prime when it comes out? The prize would be the same...

Quote Originally Posted by John Inglis View Post
    Thanks so much Lucille for the thread and the photos! Do you know what focal lengths you were using for these shots?

Seb, I would be interested in your thoughts on these zooms when you are able to comment.

So hard to know which way to go forward, and with a possible Batis 135mm.

Post Thanks / Like

Reviving the thread from almost a year ago.

Lucille, now that you've owned the 70-200 2.8 GM for a while, is it still your opinion that it is a darn good lens to buy?

Does anybody else have any experience with it? I am planning to get one as I shift from Canon to Sony and will be taking it for my trip to Africa next month. The new 100-400 will not be available by the time I leave and I plan to use this, maybe with the teleconverters on the A9 body.

My copy of the 24-70 is stellar without any decentralization that some have noticed. This would be the perfect compliment for it. As I said last year on this thread, I wanted to wait for a full frame version of the a6300 and the A9 fits the bill nicely.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    Reviving the thread from almost a year ago.

Lucille, now that you've owned the 70-200 2.8 GM for a while, is it still your opinion that it is a darn good lens to buy?

Does anybody else have any experience with it? I am planning to get one as I shift from Canon to Sony and will be taking it for my trip to Africa next month. The new 100-400 will not be available by the time I leave and I plan to use this, maybe with the teleconverters on the A9 body.

My copy of the 24-70 is stellar without any decentralization that some have noticed. This would be the perfect compliment for it. As I said last year on this thread, I wanted to wait for a full frame version of the a6300 and the A9 fits the bill nicely.
    I haven't tried the GM yet but I did own the A-mount 70-200 and it was great optically. I would hope the 1.4x or 2x would be great as well.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

I bit the bullet and got the lens. I was quite concerned with the reports of de-centering some have reported. Glad to say this copy does not suffer from any such problems. The lens is super sharp on my preliminary tests, although a tad soft wide open at 2.8. But by f4 it is superb and there is almost no perceptible difference there after. Will compare it with my current Canon versions.

Post Thanks / Like

This lens is just killer! It has pop and gives me that look. One of the best lenses I own, and worth every penny.

IMO, Sony is KILLING it with the G Master series and I'll throw in the 50mm ZONY f./1.4, we have some great glass!
    the HepKitty

Post Thanks / Like

and I don't find this lens a tad soft when shot wide open, rather I find incredible sharpness.

the HepKitty

Post Thanks / Like

and I don't find this lens a tad soft when shot wide open, rather I find incredible sharpness.
    Thanks Lucille. Love that shot BTW.

I think I am pixel-peeping too much and it was a very preliminary test with my usual target. Will have more time (hopefully) next week. I want to try it with the 1.4X and the 2X to see how it performs esp on the new A9. The reason I got the 2.8 is to be able to do that.

Funny, but this lens does not quite feel as heavy and cumbersome as my Canon 2.8 used to (one reason why I got rid of it).
    Last edited by Pradeep; 25th May 2017 at 03:29. Reason: error

Post Thanks / Like

Digital Lloyd (Lloyd Chambers) blog just posted about this lens and it got a terrible review. Could he have tested a bad lens? I have the f4 version and it's a really nice lens. It is so much better than my previous Canon 70-200 f4.
    J. Paul