The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Deleted

• Thread starter Deleted member 7792
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7792

Deleted

Last edited by a moderator:

hcubell

Sony may be designing their recent lenses with a different FE-mount camera in mind. The GM lenses and this new 50mm lens seem more suited to a larger, DSLR-sized camera, rather than the a7-series. Stay tuned.
It makes me feel that the A7R with its svelte form factor was a Trojan Horse approach for Sony to compete with all of the big and heavy stuff from Canon and Nikon. Unfortunately (for me), Sony continues to head in the direction of two groups of lenses. Big, heavy, fast, expensive lenses with the better optical quality. And smaller, lighter, slower and cheaper lenses with mediocre optical quality.

iiiNelson

Many feel that they are out tune. Markets will decide.

Good luck to Sony!
I think the market is deciding that many are okay with the size of the speed is needed. We've seen it with the 35, the GM's, and now this 50. The expensive lenses are funding the smaller ones down the roadmap I suspect.

I'm sure the 55/1.8 sold far better than the 35/2.8. I wouldn't be surprised if the 35 ZA sold relatively well too.

V

Vivek

I think the market is deciding that many are okay with the size of the speed is needed. We've seen it with the 35, the GM's, and now this 50. The expensive lenses are funding the smaller ones down the roadmap I suspect.

I'm sure the 55/1.8 sold far better than the 35/2.8. I wouldn't be surprised if the 35 ZA sold relatively well too.
Full of speculation, Tre. I think nothing is likely to be the truth.

hcubell

The reality today is that paying a lot of money doesn't guarantee that you will get an exceptional lens, but paying a low price guarantees that you won't.

ohnri

This is the 50mm FE lens I have been waiting for.

It's everything I like.

Fast, beautiful and ...

Nope, that covers everything I like.

Fast and Beautiful

hcubell

This is the 50mm FE lens I have been waiting for.

It's everything I like.

Fast, beautiful and ...

Nope, that covers everything I like.

Fast and Beautiful
Let's see how it tests out against the FE 55 f/1.8. It may be just big and overweight and much more expensive in exchange for a half a stop.

iiiNelson

If it has stellar IQ, i'm in!
The handful of shots that I've seen look pretty good in rendering. Everyone that has used this lens states that it's a very good one. I generally ignore the gushing parts but I do pay attention to the words that are consistent across multiple reviews/impressions.

ohnri

Let's see how it tests out against the FE 55 f/1.8. It may be just big and overweight and much more expensive in exchange for a half a stop.
I like the images I have seen thus far with the new 50/1.4 whereas I am not a fan of the 55/1.8.

And, I my 35/1.4 FE is great so I am hopeful about this new lens as well.

A question for me is, the 50/1.4 or the 85/1.4 GM?

Big, lovely porky lenses.

I love big bokeh I will not lie.

Hulyss Bowman

No no no no, it's not pricey. It's only half the price per gram compared to Nikon's all plastic 58mm f/1.4. Same price, twice the weight, must be a bargain :ROTFL:
Damn yea. I want this Nikon but will not pay that much for it. I don't understand this crazy pricing. If only it has some exotic pieces of glass in it with iridium coating I would understand but it is quite basic tech inside.

iiiNelson

Iridium would make it heavy. :scry:

Nikon (non G) lenses are presumed to use beryllium springs to operate their apertures (Beryllium is the lightest of the metals).

FWIW, There is glowing review of this lens from Steve Huff.

That alone must sell quite a few of these. :thumbup:

1800 Euros: https://www.calumetphoto.de/product/Sony-SEL-50mm/1-4-Zeiss-Planar/SONSEL50F14Z

3K Euros for the zoom 70-200.
LOL... All of his reviews tend to be "glowing" but he admittedly doesn't publish the highly negative (from his perspective) ones. I believe that he stated once that he writes the company directly in those cases, shares his feelings privately with the company or in short blurbs that the equipment wasn't right for him, and leaves it at that.

It works for him even if it doesn't work well for others looking for information on a particular piece of equipment.

Regarding the 50, if it performs anything like the 35/1.4 I'm going to be all over this. It's probably my favorite 35 that I've used or owned. Yes it's sort of large but it's really good too.

ohnri

Early nerdly evaluations point towards this being one of the best 50's from a pixel peeping standpoint ever made.

HaHaHa

Beautiful Fast Beautiful Fast

Damn