The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I was bored .....

Jim DE

And decided to try my hand at uploading some of the Sony Camera Apps because I really liked some shots I saw with the smooth reflections app. Well as expected all the negative posts about issues uploading or buying the apps were true. :( I finally got it done buy had to buy a pre paid Sony card to get it done..... anyway I bought the Smooth Reflections and have only played with it 10 minutes to get a idea on how it works but I also uploaded the free Smart Controller app which is imo one slick app. It is like tethering to your smartphone and you have a lot of control while doing so. I can see many possibilities for this one like setting up near a hummingbird feeder with a shorter focal length lens for unique hummingbird shots. Or doing star trail shots from inside your car when the skeeters are thick...... You sure can't beat the price ;)

I just thought I would offer my .02 on these two apps and the way I got the buy/upload process to finally work. I can see me using the smart controller for some applications afield in the future. Beats lugging a laptop imo.

Slingers

I was recently trying to put an app on someone's camera but I couldn't attach a credit card to their account on both the camera and website. Luckily my account had funds in the wallet and a credit card on it so I could buy an app for them but then when trying to buy a second app on the camera it wouldn't let me top up the account. I had to do the funds top up and purchase of the app on the website which made the app available to download on the camera after I had logged in.

Jim DE

Yeah my credit card did not work at all using my MAC like many I have read who have had this issue. There definitely is a issue with the Sony USA camera App Store with this. Buying a $10 pre paid Sony card from Amazon and using that code number when buying a App worked just fine. I have since removed my credit card info and just use the Sony pre paid wallet

drevil

Staff member
I think the whole Sony environment still suffers too much by the entertaining business, its just not professional at all, why is my account directly an playstation network account? total BS.

i also had issues downloading the time lapse app, after my credit card direct payment failed i charged my account with 10€ and then it worked, PITA for sure.
i dont know how the experience is with other apps, but on my A7Rii, the time lapse app is extremely laggy and delayed.

the whole approach by sony is just annoying, a firmware that is several hundred megabytes big, whilest the competitor ones are a few ten megabytes.
everything is so bloated. also the GUI of their cameras in general.
not to mention that count of pictures that can be taken in one session is limited to 990 ....what the hell, seriously.
and now i have the issue that the camera randomly stops recording.
10€ wasted until now, till hopefully an update fixes all this.