Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sony 100mm f/2.8 macro

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sony 100mm f/2.8 macro

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Maybe I could just take a hammer to it ... for Macro who needs infinity ...
    I was thinking the same thing It seems like someone would be able to come up with a way to mount Nikkors without an element, but I've seen zilch about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a few comparisons between the Sony macro and the ZA 135 with extension tubes. It was impossible to get exactly the same frame due to the different focal length and the high magnification so it's difficult to make definitive conclusions. I believe that the ZA 135 with tubes is sharper by a noticeable margin but seems to produce more CA than the macro. Not bad for a non-macro lens. However the lens is quite big and heavy and the extension tubes are quite flimsy and the whole set up doesn't balance well, so for the time being the Sony remains the more practical option. However judging by the above, I have every reason to believe that an eventual Zeiss Makro will produce much better results.

gtmerideth

I have a ZK 100/2 macro planar which I respect as a fine piece of glass.
    Even though the adapters with glass degrade the IQ, I wanted to know how much so I purchased the Russian Pentax to MA and was pretty disappointed.

Some day I will find a way to use that 100/2 on the Sony.
    g

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone ever try the AF Tamron 180/3.5 LD IF Macro?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=284405&is=REG

Post Thanks / Like

I just got the Tamron180/3.5 macro as a stop gap until Sony/Zeiss grace us with a longer pro caliber macro. Can't comment yet on IQ, but the feel of the manual focus is horrible. You can actually hear, and feel the focus ring grind. I don't know if this is normal for this lens, or if I got a dud, but it's going back to B&H. I'm disappointed as this lens is supposed to be pretty good optically.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by surfotog View Post
    I just got the Tamron180/3.5 macro as a stop gap until Sony/Zeiss grace us with a longer pro caliber macro. Can't comment yet on IQ, but the feel of the manual focus is horrible. You can actually hear, and feel the focus ring grind. I don't know if this is normal for this lens, or if I got a dud, but it's going back to B&H. I'm disappointed as this lens is supposed to be pretty good optically.

Too bad because the specifications sound impressive. If it focuses via screwdriver, then the grinding sound is normal (I guess).

Post Thanks / Like

I have the older Minolta 20/2.8, and manual focus with that is much nicer, no grinding, quiet. The Tamron also had a bit of slop which made really critical focus very difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Its odd how one becomes inclined to mince one's words. I am as prone to do so as anyone.

Actually my personal view is that the Sony 100mm macro is - given the pedigree - a rubbish lens. Its poorly made and optically dubious. Independent manufacturers like Sigma and Tamron make better lenses for less money. Sony or Zeiss need to do better. My apologies for being less than 100% candid before

Quentin
    Given what pedigree??? You mean it should be better since it's a Minolta lens???

Quote Originally Posted by Braeside View Post
    Edward, I agree the Sony appears to have more in common with the Minolta lens contrasts than the Zeiss that is for sure. It also has 'bokeh' CA when wide open.
    Quote Originally Posted by Braeside View Post
    Very strange, the Minolta 100mm/2.8 macro (old version) that is supposed to be the same as the new Sony version, is absolutely superb.
    Yes, it is...it's identical to the Minolta 100mm D, which ironically was rated IIRC as one of the top lenses of all time.

Now, I sense a bit of QC shift in Sony's fabrication process, because it seems they may have cut some corners to make things cheaper. This could contribute to the higher incidence of "sloppy" lenses on the street.

Or, you guys could just be unfairly treating the lens based on their use of newfangled plastics.

Hi Jono,

My understanding has evolved, shall we say. It does a workmanlike job, but I can't think of any area where its not just a little short of other macro lenses I have used, including Sigma and Tamron macros on the Kodak 14nx. The lens hood is flimsy. General build quality is low end. If it cost less I'd not mind, but I now think I should have purchased a Tamron 90mm macro instead.
    Quentin
    Aha, so I was right. Negatives on build quality and hood stiffness infect the optical rating? Come on, guys.

Greg

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I cannot agree with this. My 120mm Mamiya macro on a 22mp Mamiya ZD is good at around F.20 so there is no excuse for softness with the Sony macro at similar f-stops. The fact is the Sony macro is a hobbyist consumer grade lens, not up to professional use and it shows.
    The photosites on the ZD back are huge compared to the Sony's ... that's why it works better.

Post Thanks / Like

Greg,

The lens is fine in terms of resolution and sharpness. But I guess we Zeiss users have come to expect certain characteristics that are lacking in the 100 macro, not only build quality but also micro-contrast and colors.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    Greg,

The lens is fine in terms of resolution and sharpness. But I guess we Zeiss users have come to expect certain characteristics that are lacking in the 100 macro, not only build quality but also micro-contrast and colors.
    I hear you. That's just it, though...it's not a CZ. I guess if one is coming new to Sony, expecting CZ across the board, it would stand to reason you'd want more CZ glass.

Not that I would see microcontrast if it hit me in the face.

I'll agree I hate what Sony did to most of the lens bodies. Not that I think they feel bad...I'm not that picky. It's just that they LOOK bad. I'M THAT PICKY!

The only Sony lens I own is the 35G. It has a nicer mottled finish metal body. I have Minolta lenses in all the other variants, including the 100mm macro, 100mm soft focus, and 100mm f/2.

I would be interested to see how you pro cats would rate the 100/2. It's amazing wide open, on film or digital. But I may just be rating it on bokeh ...and macrocontrast.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ha, that's funny. I actually prefer the clean Sony look to my Minolta lenses. The Zeiss primes are simply beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Ha, that's funny. I actually prefer the clean Sony look to my Minolta lenses. The Zeiss primes are simply beautiful.
    Same here I love the style an uniform simplicity of the ZA's. Just like the Contax lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A900 and 100 macro as a stock tool

While the Sony 100mm Macro leaves something to be desired in terms of absolute image quality, it is capable of reasonable results. The image below is a combo of three shots taken in the last day or two for stock. I make money from the A900 so my comments on it and its lenses is not merely of casual interest.

One "problem" is the depth of field is greater than with medium format digital. This can be a disadvantage in some cases.

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Goldencode

Minolta 100 f2.8 macro

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A900 and 100 macro as a stock tool

One "problem" is the depth of field is greater than with medium format digital. This can be a disadvantage in some cases.

Quentin
    Hi Quentin - you clearly need the 135 f1.8 - less dof and better bokeh, and focusing down to .7 of a metre means it would have been grand for any of these shots.

How's the STF . . . and more to the point, how's the computer?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would never have thought of using the 100/2.8 macro for portrait work......but it was on the camera when my youngest grandson, enjoying his second birthday, just had to be photographed in his new play tent. Well stopped down to cater for lively movements in the plane of focus!
    Last edited by dhsimmonds; 18th April 2012 at 02:44.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Quentin - you clearly need the 135 f1.8 - less dof and better bokeh, and focusing down to .7 of a metre means it would have been grand for any of these shots.

How's the STF . . . and more to the point, how's the computer?
    Jono,

Computer is b*ggered. A new one arrives I hope before Easter with latest Intel chip and 6gb ram. Still a Windows machine. Also buying Adobe CS4 suite (in for a penny, etc, plus just received a royalty cheque for the book).

I love the STF and I'm glad I purchased it. Its a nuttier choice than the obviously excellent Zeiss, but then again I have the 85mm F1.4. and the STF just does one thing supremely well, but as it has two irises you can switch between, it can be used on auto as well as a normal and very sharp 135mm if needed. No longitudinal CA I can see either.

I'm inclined to think I was to harsh on the 100 macro. Its not tops but it does a job, as many have shown, yourself included, with some nice shots, like Dave's portrait as an example.

I now need a Sony flash for fill flash
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,

Computer is b*ggered. A new one arrives I hope before Easter with latest Intel chip and 6gb ram. Still a Windows machine. Also buying Adobe CS4 suite (in for a penny, etc, plus just received a royalty cheque for the book).
    Deary me . . . some people never learn! A new mac pro with 8gb RAM and you could always run windows on it . . . we have one in the office with 16Gb RAM, and it's running Ubuntu, Windows server 2008, XP, Vista and Windows 7 . . . all quite comfortably together with the Mac OS. it's fast, functional and very beautiful.
    I love the STF and I'm glad I purchased it. Its a nuttier choice than the obviously excellent Zeiss, but then again I have the 85mm F1.4. and the STF just does one thing supremely well, but as it has two irises you can switch between, it can be used on auto as well as a normal and very sharp 135mm if needed. No longitudinal CA I can see either.
    I don't think that's a nutter choice. . . . if I already had the 85 1.4, it would seem like a no brainer. much more sensible than that windows machine

I'm inclined to think I was to harsh on the 100 macro. Its not tops but it does a job, as many have shown, yourself included, with some nice shots, like Dave's portrait as an example.

I now need a Sony flash for fill flash
    Hmmm. yes. I think the 100mm macro is a bit of a dog from a design, ergonomics point of view, but the image quality seems pretty good. . . . and isn't Dave's portrait nice!

Which flash are you going for? I think I'm going to have to buy one too.

Still, I hope you're still as pleased with the A900 as I am; a camera to like

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Can I chip in with a quick word about the flash system?

If you will want to use the Sony wireless flash system to control other off-board Sony/Minolta flashes, then be aware that only the Sony HVL-58AM can act as a wireless controller flash. In other words you need to buy the most expensive flash they make just to control any other flashes if you want to use the Sony "wireless" (actually infrared) system.

Previous Sony/Minolta cameras that had built in pop-up flashes could use their own flash as the wireless controller, so this A900 is a retrograde step. Sony should have produced a small inexpensive controller flash IMO.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi David,

Don't worry, I can't speak for Jono, but I suspect neither of us are considering a budget Sony flash

To get some idea:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKn5B...om=PL&index=15

Quentin
    Last edited by Quentin_Bargate; 8th April 2009 at 01:09.
    Quentin Bargate

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi David,

Don't worry, I can't speak for Jono, but I suspect neither of us are considering a budget Sony flash

Quentin
    No, I suppose not . . . perhaps we should drag Albert into this discussion (have you seen that he has appeared in the pictures thread?).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No time like the present - Sony HVL-F58AM just ordered from Warehousexpress. Should arrive tomorrow.

And get Albert over here!!!
    Quentin Bargate

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No time like the present - Sony HVL-F58AM just ordered from Warehousexpress. Should arrive tomorrow.

And get Albert over here!!!
    I'm in the dangerous situation that Warehouseexpress is only a 15 minute drive from here aaaaaarrrrrrhhhhhh!!!!!

We just had to get Silas a company car (the deal was that if he increased the turnover by 25% . . . ) So flash guns are out this month!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hi David,

Quentin
    Just wanted to make sure that you were clued in as to the status of the wireless flash system on the Sony - the 58-AM I am going to have to get as I have a pair of Minolta 3600 flashes that can only be controlled with that flash on the A900, previously I could use the popup flash on the A700 to fire them.

However, not a priority at present, I am waiting for the 135/1.8 to arrive today - I was convinced it was going to turn up when I was out at the dentist this morning, but it didn't.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I need to sell some of my no longer used gear, including my SB28. I have cash tied up in a lot of kit that is excellent but not being used. the Mamiya ZD is a prime example. I'm not saying the Sony is perfect - its not - but it has replaced the rest except the Sigma DP1 for just about everything except a lingering intention to look at using 8x10 film again at some stage....

And I have ambitions to rack up the stock side to become a genuine significant second income stream. Currently it runs at about $600 per month where is has been stuck for a while, marking time as I trickle-feed new work. Been trying to persuade old Charles G. to send work to stock libraries. I'll see him tomorrow at BNI.

cheers

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quentin

I shall be interested to learn of your views on the Sony HVL-F58AM flash gun.

I like it a lot as a very versatile flash. I like it a lot better than the 54MZ-4i.

Having said that I prefer not to use flash at all if possible, except for a bit of daylight fill in where absolutely needed.
    Cheers, Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Quentin

I shall be interested to learn of your views on the Sony HVL-F58AM flash gun.

I like it a lot as a very versatile flash. I like it a lot better than the 54MZ-4i.

Having said that I prefer not to use flash at all if possible, except for a bit of daylight fill in where absolutely needed.
    I shall report back in due course. It ought to arrive tomorrow.

I really want to use it for fill flash too. Generally outside the studio, I prefer natural light, but fill flash, used carefully, can make a positive difference.

And anyway, it looks to be a heck of a gadget

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Intial report is the HVL-F58AM is very good. Pretty large for a hot shoe flash

Here is a quick comparion with and without the HVL-F58AM used as fill-flash. The gun will sync at all shutter speeds, so fill flash is a breeze. My youngest son fresh out of bed at the crack of midday Obviously the right image is with flash, direct on-Camera, DxO defaults from CS4. Lens is the 135 STF.

Quentin Bargate

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Damn you Quentin
    More Expense

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Damn you Quentin
    More Expense

You'll like it!

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you like it Quentin. I will eventually get one, as I want to use it to control my other Minolta 3600HS D flashes, they will do for a small fill flash for now, though nowhere near as versatile as the lovely swivel design of the 58-AM.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I knew that you would like it and I agree about it's fill-in functionality. It is so versatile too.
    Cheers, Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

three studio stock shots with the A900 and 100mm f/2.8 macro today

Decoded with DxO

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

nice shots, quentin

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Douglas,

Thanks - bit of an exercise in rim lighting for the first two

And the 100mm macro did a decent job in these examples.

and the wine, I hear you ask... Leoville Barton 2001, one of Bordeaux finest. One talks about "drinking in" a picture; well in this case I complied literally by drinking the props

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Douglas,

Thanks - bit of an exercise in rim lighting for the first two

And the 100mm macro did a decent job in these examples.

and the wine, I hear you ask... Leoville Barton 2001, one of Bordeaux finest. One talks about "drinking in" a picture; well in this case I complied literally by drinking the props

Quentin
    Very Nice Quentin (both the pictures and the wine)
    I'm a little horrified that you allowed such splendid wine to get so close to such a naff corkscrew though

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very Nice Quentin (both the pictures and the wine)
    I'm a little horrified that you allowed such splendid wine to get so close to such a naff corkscrew though
    Hi Jono,

Molto grazie As to the corkscrew, it works - which, where wine is concerned, is all that matters when you fancy a glass (although it's still too young to be at its best...rather like you and me, Jono )

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

Quentin,

I think jonoslack is right, you need a more manly cork screw. Maybe something like this.

Aaron

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Heck, that guy's all screwed up He's not getting anywhere near my vintage plonk, my son

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

True, you never know what he will leave behind after a screw

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just saw this over on FM. Since many of you want to use the ZF Makro 100 on the A900, why not try this adapter, since you won't need infinity focus anyway?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-AI-Lens-to...3%3A1|294%3A50

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 100 macro is not that bad a lens really.......it is just at 1/1 macro range that it doesn't quite come up to par with a Zeiss or Leica. At slightly longer focal distances it is a very good lens indeed in IMHO. I snapped this in the pouring rain yesterday, by peering in through a gap in a tent housing an orchestra at an outdoor event:-[img[img] click to see the larger image.

The light was dull and awful, the camera and lens got very, very wet but I got totally drenched! It proved that the A900 seals are not bad and the lens can take it too. More importantly I got my shot!
    Cheers, Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 100 macro is not that bad a lens really.......it is just at 1/1 macro range that it doesn't quite come up to par with a Zeiss or Leica. At slightly longer focal distances it is a very good lens indeed in IMHO. I snapped this in the pouring rain yesterday, by peering in through a gap in a tent housing an orchestra at an outdoor event:-[img[img] click to see the larger image. About a 100% crop BTW.

The light was dull and awful, the camera and lens got very, very wet but I got totally drenched! It proved that the A900 seals are not bad and the lens can take it too. More importantly I got my shot!
    Cheers, Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Fully agreed Dave. My personal problem with this lens is that I use it mostly at 1:1, and this is where its resolution drops. I keep reminded of this every time I use it, but there is no other option at this time.

nautilus

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    Fully agreed Dave. My personal problem with this lens is that I use it mostly at 1:1, and this is where its resolution drops. I keep reminded of this every time I use it, but there is no other option at this time.
    You are one, Edward!
    I remember your first impression of this lens 'a piece of rubbish'.

But now you are absolutely right. I would even say that we can see the lens degrade it's picture quality above 1:2 step by step. Despite it's focussing disabilities as a macro lens it's among the Sony/Minolta lenses that deliver the finest picture quality in all-around shooting situations.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guys, try the Sigma 70 mm macro - I'm very pleased with the IQ of mine. First time I've used a macro lens with stabilization - thanks to Sony's SSS.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nautilus View Post
    You are one, Edward!
    I remember your first impression of this lens 'a piece of rubbish'.
    Well, I still think it sucks at 1:1, but I did realize it is not bad at lower magnifications

keith_h

Although this thread is 12 months old, any chance of putting up the unnacceptably soft macro images so I can take a look. I'm interested in the quality you were getting and really wondering if you got a dud lens.