The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Please add the Sony RX1R2 firmware to the A7 series of cameras! We want crop modes!

Please Sony, add the features in the RX1R2 to the current A7 series of cameras in a firmware update!

We want a 5:4, 4:3 and 1:1 crop to our Sony A7 cameras!

I have had just had a chance to try the Sony RX1R2 in store and it has a great feature that is seriously lacking in the current A7 series of cameras.. That is, the ability to have the camera crop to a desired format (4:3 and 1:1) by blacking out the EVF. The whole sensor is then captured and these blacked out aspect ratios are shown up as grid lines in post processing, giving the user the ability to keep the initial blacked out crop or leave the original full sensor readout (or anything in between).... Awesome!

As far as I know this a very exclusive feature and needs to be shared amongst the entire Sony lineup!

The Nikon D810 has a similar feature with its 5:4 crop but even this does not give the user the ability to then revert back to the larger 3:2 full pixel readout of the sensor in post if required.... It records as the 5:4 crop viewed in the viewfinder and that is what you are stuck with..

Coming from a medium format and large format film background, this is an amazing feature! The Sony A7RII is seen by many as a Medium Format Digital competitor but is let down by the skinny 3:2 aspect ratio.. A 5:4 and 4:3 crop in the EVF would certainly bridge that gap!

Please Sony, add this feature of the Sony RX1R2 to the current lineup of Sony A7 series cameras!

Attachments

I know, would be really an amazing feature to have....

Is really frustrating as I imagine it would be super easy for Sony to add it, considering that it already exists in the RX1R2

:facesmack:

I have added it to the Sony Community Site and hopefully somebody there sees it and it is implemented..

https://community.sony.com/t5/Alpha...rmware-to-the-A7-series-of-cameras/m-p/590154

More likely that we will see it pop up in the next reincarnation of the Sony.. Not amazing for firmware updates really..

Received this from the Sony community site...

Hi
wallpaperviking

Thanks for your quick reply!

Let me relate this information to our relevant team. Will let you know again if we need to further clarify with you.

Appreciate your feedback always!

Thanks!

Regards
Ann

Not sure how much influence this site has but if anybody else would like to see this feature implemented, would be really helpful to join and add your thoughts :)

http://community.sony.com/t5/Alpha-...-to-the-A7-series-of-cameras/m-p/594648#M7864

Thanks!