The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtlander 12/5.6 Sony FE Mount shipping

Lens arrived. Pretty much identical size to the 10mm. Unfortunately, no time to shoot anything interesting today. (the lens makes my tiny shop look ginormous though.)

12mm lens on A7Rii-2-2.jpg
12mm e-mount tests-002.jpg

Last edited:

jfirneno

Mike:
If you have both the 10 and 12 currently I'd love to hear your comparison of them (especially corner sharpness).

gurtch

Mike: could you post a side by side of the same scene (such as your work shop) so we can get a feel for coverage 10mm vs 12mm? I have the Zeiss FE 16-35, but also have a Nikon 14-24 which I can use with an adapter. I would like to go a bit wider, but not sure how much 2mm would mean, in real life. Thanks if you can get to it.
Dave in NJ

frozenbb

So wide - the Loxia 21 looks positively telephoto by comparison!

I admit I'm intrigued by the new Voigt 12. Thanks for posting this. I look forward to hearing/seeing more once you've had time to put it through its paces.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Thanks Mike.
All garage images look fine to my eyes.
For my 10mm I get curved sun rays if the sun is placed near the left or right edges/corners. I wonder whether the 12mm gives similar results? TIA.

gurtch

Mike: Thanks for going to the trouble to help out here. The difference between 16mm and 12 mm is significant, so I may go for the 12mm. I must admit, the 16-35mm is my favorite lens for the A7RII, and it is always on the camera. I use it probably 75% or more at 16mm, and 12mm is an exciting concept to me for the seascapes I usually do.
Thanks again for all your work.
Dave

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Hey Mike:

That should be fun to test. I'd love to know how it compares to the previous Voigtlander 12mm. Please post your thoughts (and photos!).
I would like to know, too, since I have your m-mount 12mm and wonder what I will gain by upgrading.

I would like to know, too, since I have your m-mount 12mm and wonder what I will gain by upgrading.
For me, the main advantages are the native mount (with electronics) so you get EXIF lens data and automatic selection of the focal length for IBIS. You also get focus magnification, but that's not particularly helpful with such a wide lens (it always looks in focus, more or less).

It also seems to have less vignetting, which could indicate that they have optimized it for the Sony.

V

Vivek

LTM and/or M mount plus an adapter to mount on a Sony itself adds some vignetting. Avoiding this with a native mount with no physical obstruction is desirable.

I really love what you can do with ultra-wide lenses. In this shot, for example, the grass in the foreground is just a couple feet away from the camera.

Marquette Plaza-1-FrameShop.jpg