The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Deleted

• Thread starter Deleted member 7792
  • Start date

pegelli

So what would it take to make them in A mount................. Also give us new adapters from A to E that take full advantage of the FE bodies AF system
It's a nice idea, but looking at the optical diagrams of the GM lenses they have glass elements very close to the mount, so you can't just make them shorter because these elements will interfere with the pellicle mirror. So you'd need a complete new design, not impossible, but a substantial R&D effort.

Agree with you on the adapters, the LA-EA3 and 4 are far too crippled to do full justice to the high end bodies they will be used on.

ErikKaffehr

Hi Guy,

I am pretty sure that the GM lenses are designed for the short flange FE-mount so I think it would need a different design for the A-mount, that has a flange distance making place for the mirror box.

My take is that the E-mount system uses a combination of phase detection for speed and contrast detection for accuracy. The contrast detection needs very fast focus corrections, so the new lenses use either linear motors (linear USM or steppers) or voice coil designs.

The adapters, except the LA-EA4, probably just hook up electronics in the lens with the E-mount.

Personally, I am not that much interested in fast lenses, but that is just me...

Best regards
Erik

If Sony was smart and took both GM lenses and updated them to this A mount. Took there 135 mm and updated it to SSM. Improve there 35 1.4 than you would see a lot of folks jumping on it. My big concern is their lenses and if they are updating them or not. If they actually said or gave us a roadmap it go a very long way in buyer confidence. Their lack of commitment to this A mount has hurt them from a buyers seat. It's a exciting camera no question but I think if they really want sales than make some announcement about the lens future. We have the FE mount and they designs for those GM lenses in p,ace right now, so what would it take to make them in A mount. There new FE 50 1.4 is killer make it now in A mount. Also give us new adapters from A to E that take full advantage of the FE bodies AF system

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes I know Its far more change to flip it to a A mount than a simple task. But it can be done knowing what they know making the FE mount.