The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII Shutter Release doesn't Work

MedShooter

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to set up a remote shutter release for my Sony A7rII.

The Shutter release cable is connected through an RCA > 3.5mm>2.5mm connection.

The shutter release only works when the 2 second shutter delay is set on the camera for the shutter release. It won't work when instant shutter is set which is weird.

Would anybody know how to get this thing to work?

Thank you

MedShooter

I'd really appreciate any input at all. I'm getting desparate to get this to work.
The weird thing is that timed shutter works with the shutter release cable but Single Shot mode does not.

MedShooter

What type/brand of release cable are you using?
It's the JJC 2.5mm to Sony shutter release cable.

Ok, so I tried something else. I installed Sony Photo Moments on my iPhone but then also hooked up the JJC cable to the camera. It works using the single shot setting this way. I guess this is a work around but not the ideal scenario I guess.

It's a piece of studio equipment with an RCA out.
That explains it. The remote cords have two distinct actions, the first focuses (like a half-press of the shutter) then the second fires the camera. That's why the remote cord has three contacts on the 2.5mm end (focus, fire and common). If the device only closes the firing contact, the camera won't fire, because it thinks it's not focused. You may be able to get it to work by rigging an adapter that connects the two firing contacts together, so they'll both connect to the common contact when the device fires.

When the camera is in timer mode, it handles signaling the focus action.

jdphoto

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to set up a remote shutter release for my Sony A7rII.

The Shutter release cable is connected through an RCA > 3.5mm>2.5mm connection.

The shutter release only works when the 2 second shutter delay is set on the camera for the shutter release. It won't work when instant shutter is set which is weird.

Would anybody know how to get this thing to work?

Thank you

I'd eliminate the RCA adapter. Just get a Sony remote shutter release that's compatible with your camera.