The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best AF WA lens for Sony A7RII

The Ute

Just wanted to solicit people's opinions on this question.
Interested in hearing which single lens WA that offers auto focus offers the best in terms of overall image quality ?
It can be Native or Non-native.
Adapted or not adapted.
Price is not being a bar to the choice.
Must be between 18 and 35mm.
Must have AF.
Thanks in advance.

ggibson

The Sony 16-35/4 has pretty respectable quality for a zoom. Especially 16-24mm, and mine is still pretty good all the way to 35mm. Obviously a zoom isn't going to be quite as good as a prime like the Batis 18 or 25, but you get the flexibility and at f8-11 you'll have a harder time telling them apart. I like mine a lot, the only downside IMO is that it's a bigger/heavier lens than the Batis primes.

I also have the little 28/2, which is a fun lens and pretty sharp too. Not as good as the Batis options, but less than half the cost.

gurtch

The Sony 16-35/4 has pretty respectable quality for a zoom. Especially 16-24mm, and mine is still pretty good all the way to 35mm. Obviously a zoom isn't going to be quite as good as a prime like the Batis 18 or 25, but you get the flexibility and at f8-11 you'll have a harder time telling them apart. I like mine a lot, the only downside IMO is that it's a bigger/heavier lens than the Batis primes.

I also have the little 28/2, which is a fun lens and pretty sharp too. Not as good as the Batis options, but less than half the cost.
+1 on the 16-35mm; I have made 20"x30" prints and find it an excellent and versatile lens for seascapes, which is what I do.
Dave in NJ
D713 framed.jpgD714 framed.jpg

jdphoto

I've been using the Batis 25mm f/2 and think the resolving power is outstanding! I took a demo pic of a landscape and stopped down and i was able to discern blades of cattail grass almost a 1/4 of a mile away! This is a fast AF lens that's a perfect match for the A7 series in terms of ergonomics and weight, but almost all fast lenses will exhibit some CA wide open - easily fixed in editing though. Another wonderful aspect is that this lens will allow generous cropping too. I've used extreme wide angles, like 16mm 18mm, but for me, the 24-25mm focal length is perfect for less distortion and more natural perspective and the ability to still use it for environmental portraiture.

Last edited: