The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

a6000....some queries

Bugleone

After using NEX 3 for several years I now have a brand new a6000 sitting unused on my table. I have pretty much worked out most of the set up as it's not that different in essence, however I have a few questions that many folk here will know so here goes;

1) Does anyone know the safe tripping voltage for the flash shoe?

2) How do you get the relevant firmware for the older 18-55mm kit zoom when used with a6000?.....I looked on various sony sites but could not find. Does it make much difference anyway?

3) Which RAW converter, that is the question! There was a Phaseone leaflet in the box and I spent an anxious TWO HOURS down loading 'Capture One Express for Sony' which is suposedly a "free" program, however, I received an email this morning telling me I can use it for 30 days..!!?!...:shocked:..........:angry: Anyone gone this route?...got any observations?

pegelli

That's the firmware for the camera, it's worthwhile to make sure your camera has indeed the latest firmware version installed.

After that look here for selecting the relevant firmware for the lens, which needs to be updated to ensure you benefit from all the AF improvements of the A6000 (vs. your older NEX 3). You can choose the right link here for the region you're located as well as operating system you use (mac or windows).

C1 for Sony is supposed to be free, C1Pro for Sony is 50$ (a good deal in my mind for the extra options you get). I never use the Sony Image Data Converter for raw conversion, a bit too clunky for my liking. Lightroom also works well for me, but is more expensive vs. C1Pro for Sony option.

V

Vivek

3) Which RAW converter, that is the question! There was a Phaseone leaflet in the box and I spent an anxious TWO HOURS down loading 'Capture One Express for Sony' which is suposedly a "free" program, however, I received an email this morning telling me I can use it for 30 days..!!?!...:shocked:..........:angry: Anyone gone this route?...got any observations?
Find the real free C1 express for Sony. You can use that for more than 30 days.

If the down load takes more than few mins at the most, get a real internet connection/provider.

Flash: Go wireless! On ebay you can find a transmitter/receiver set for quite cheap. No need to worry about sync voltages and such.

Bugleone

Mike. Pieter, and Vivek,...thank you so much for your valuable and quick replies.......

Flash;.....I did already have a flash transmitter on my list of stuff to get!........but I also want to use my (very) old Vivitar 283 which can be used off camera by means of a sensor (in shoe) and cord. it works very well but I have not used it in a long time. The 283 had/has a fearsome voltage (not 24v thankfully) and the full juice goes thru the sensor cord......

In the a6000 box there was no hint of any software apart from the PhaseOne booklets....I have re-read the relevant pages several times and there is no suggestion of any price or 30 day trial. I carefully downloaded and it was a very long and arduous process that took me two hours with long periods of watching green stripes imperceptibly making their way across the screen with several 20min stops. There were problems with my Win 8.1 which appeared unfriendly to the C1Express for Sony at some points. There was never any hint of 30 day trial during this until I opened my email this morning.....Personally, I don't care for this style of marketing. Searched the PhaseOne site but can't find any 'real' Express for Sony other than what i have

.......Thanks again for all help, I'm interested in any observations, B

pegelli

Actually that page has both, camera and lens firmware.
Thanks, I see. You first need to select an operating system and then all the extra info below is shown.

Here is the page that has the links to the free C1 for Sony as well as the upgrade button where you can upgrade to the C1Pro version for Sony (costs 50 €). But if you look on the following page you'll see that the first download is the free C1 for Sony and the C1Pro for Sony 30 day trial. That probably explains why you got the email this morning. So if you don't want to spend the 50 € then make sure you don't get addicted to the features that are exclusively in the pro version.

Bugleone

Pieter,......Thanks, I see it now! You are obviously much better at this than I am :thumbup:

..........I wonder what features I will lose in 30 days time :thumbdown:

If it worked really well then i would happily spend the 50 Eu's.....but I don't care for this type of marketing which(I am informed) is only just inside UK retail law/practice