The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Better combo

The Ute

Has anyone found a better lightweight AF Landscape kit than the following combo ? :
A7RII w Batis 25, Zony 35 2.8, and Zony 55
If so I'd like to hear about it.

Last edited:

ohnri

It may not be lighter in weight, but I've narrowed my landscape kit to the a7RII and the GM 24-70mm f/2.8. No lens swaps and great performance over the focal range.

Full disclosure: I also have a Batis 18mm for "special occasions".

Joe
The 24-70 GM seems to be making friends as a landscape lens.

If I were to choose from what I have in my closet I might go A7r2 with the Sony 16-35/4 and the Sony 70-200/4. It is a great combo and not too much for me to carry on a good day.

Or, I may take just the RX10iii with the amazing 24-600. I went twice to Europe last summer with just this camera and I am stupidly happy with my images. The only shots I feel are in short supply are the kind I get with my 85 GM just by vaguely waving it toward a human.

Or, one of my favorite travel combinations is just my A7s2 with the fantastic Sony 35/1.4 FE. The 35 is easily the equal of the 85 GM and one of the best lenses I have ever used.

Or, I may have to put a 24-70 GM in my closet, then take it.

-Bill

The Ute

It may not be lighter in weight, but I've narrowed my landscape kit to the a7RII and the GM 24-70mm f/2.8. No lens swaps and great performance over the focal range.

Joe
Understood.
I love the lightness of my kit though.
And the image quality from all 3 is great.
Just wondering if anyone can improve on it staying within the parameters I mentioned (AF and Light, good for Landscapes)
I might spring for the upcoming 16-35 GM if it turns out to be stellar and not weigh much more than the 16-35 F4.
Full disclosure: I hike a lot and weight matters. ;)

The Ute

The 24-70 GM seems to be making friends as a landscape lens.

If I were to choose from what I have in my closet I might go A7r2 with the Sony 16-35/4 and the Sony 70-200/4. It is a great combo and not too much for me to carry on a good day.

Or, I may take just the RX10iii with the amazing 24-600. I went twice to Europe last summer with just this camera and I am stupidly happy with my images. The only shots I feel are in short supply are the kind I get with my 85 GM just by vaguely waving it toward a human.

Or, one of my favorite travel combinations is just my A7s2 with the fantastic Sony 35/1.4 FE. The 35 is easily the equal of the 85 GM and one of the best lenses I have ever used.

Or, I may have to put a 24-70 GM in my closet, then take it.

-Bill
I've given some thought to the 16-35 F4 but I might just wait to see what the 16-35 GM has to offer.
I certainly wouldn't want to carry it and the 70-200 around together for hiking.
I had an RXIRII which I tried for landscapes but did not find it satisfactory.
I liked having IBIS and just going w the A7RII and 35 2.8 combo.
Not much heavier and better suited for Landscape.
I see the RXIRII as more of a street camera.

The Ute

Joe
I don't think this is a lens for me but I decided to rent one.:grin:
If I wind up w one of these I'm holding you personally responsible.

Last edited:

pflower

Although I am in denial about it I suppose I too am old. Weight per se isn't that important to me (I still regularly use my Hasselblad 503 with film, CFV-50c and heavy lenses on a tripod) but convenience does. And the Sony A7 line (I have the A7ii) with the 35mm 2.8 and 55mm 1.8 are pretty close to perfect on the convenience front. Whether the A7rii would be a big improvement I don't know, and given that the A7Rii seems to have increased in price quite significantly since I bought the A7ii I slightly regret not having bought it instead. There is one caveat - I recently spent 4 weeks in Rajasthan with the A7ii where there is always a huge range between shadow and highlight. Expose to protect the highlights and there is quite a restriction on how much you can lift the shadows before they break up horribly (again I don't know if the A7rii would be better). In retrospect I should have taken my Lee ND system with me but didn't. Photographing in Italy this summer with the CFV-50c I was amazed at just how much you can push the shadows in those files without penalty.

Like you I have pre-ordered the X1D. Whether that will be the holy grail remains to be seen but until it arrives and is tested, I would say that the Sony A7 line is the camera I go to on a daily basis. I can fit it in a pocket and certainly in England with the relatively modest contrast range the files look fantastic up to A2 size (which is as large as I print). But if the X1D meets expectations (and I know the sensor well) then I expect it to outperform with little weight penalty but a bit of convenience penalty which I can certainly live with. But then again - we both ordered in June and still wait.

Full disclosure: I'm old and weight matters. :ROTFL:

Because I prefer their rendering to Sony/Zeiss lenses, I almost always used the Tri-Elmars for careful landscape work. They aren't heavy and fit with A7RII in a fairly small bag.

I don't use AF for landscapes – I'd rather focus manually and consult DOF scales. If I did want AF, I'd use my Techart adapter with the same lenses.

TreeReflection.jpg

Tri-Elmar @ 18mm, 2 files stitched

But lately – having just entered 9th decade and having recently experienced a leg injury – I've had to go extra-light: just a fast 50mm, hand-held, with stitching for wider angles. I've been shooting at wide apertures for a 'pictorial' look. Not what most people would want, I suppose.

Pyre.jpg

A7rII (Kolari), 50mm 0.95. (The pyre is quite sharp in the file but may not appear so here, bcz downloaded from another site.)

Kirk

Last edited:

The Ute

Because I prefer their rendering to Sony/Zeiss lenses, I almost always used the Tri-Elmars for careful landscape work. They aren't heavy and fit with A7RII in a fairly small bag.

I don't use AF for landscapes – I'd rather focus manually and consult DOF scales. If I did want AF, I'd use my Techart adapter with the same lenses.

View attachment 123332

Tri-Elmar @ 18mm, 2 files stitched

But lately – having just entered 9th decade and having recently experienced a leg injury – I've had to go extra-light: just a fast 50mm, hand-held, with stitching for wider angles. I've been shooting at wide apertures for a 'pictorial' look. Not what most people would want, I suppose.

View attachment 123331

A7rII (Kolari), 50mm 0.95. (The pyre is quite sharp in the file but may not appear so here, bcz downloaded from another site.)

Kirk[/QU

The good Lord has graced you w both talent as well as years.
Thanks for your input.