The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII: Want lighter weight 24-70 lens

gurtch

Hello all: I post photos here often, I do mostly seascapes. I have several camera systems (makes no sense, but it is what it is), including A7RII and Nikon D800e. I turn 80 in February, so I find myself using the A7RII more and more, and the D800e less, mostly because of bulkiness and weight considerations. For the A7RII I have a Voigtlander 12mm FE, Zeiss 16-35mm f4, 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 lenses. When I use the Nikon, I find I use my Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 IS lens 90% of the time. It is the perfect "walk around" lens (except for size and weight). I would like a 24~70mm zoom (or 24~105 if it's not too big and heavy) for my A7RII. But the reviews of the Sony Zeiss are terrible. Not only lacking sharpness outside of the center of the frame, but even more of a turn off for me is the distortion, especially at the short end, where I would use it most. So the Sony is out for me. The GM 24~70 is way too big and bulky for me. Fast f2.8 aperture is not necessary for me (I do seascapes). So I am considering another brand lens with a "smart" adapter. I am considering a Canon 24~70 f4L IS lens and Metabones "smart adapter". The combination, new, is $1300. The adapter would also allow other Canon lenses, but I really prefer native lenses. Another consideration is the Sigma 24-105 OS Art lens, in Canon mount, and the Sigma MC-11 "smart adapter". The combination is $1150. But I have question: Does the Sigma adapter allow actual Canon brand lenses to be adapted? Or only Sigma branded Canon mount lenses? Does the Metabones adapter work with all Canon mount lenses (Including Canon, Sigma, Tamron, etc?). Does the Metabones have any limitations?
Thanks all for any insight. If you have any experience with the above listed lense, I would appreciate your feedbacl very much.
Merry Christmas all. P.S.: I regularly make 20"x30" prints, so IQ is important.
Dave in NJ
MODERN PICTORIALS

The Ute

Hello all: I post photos here often, I do mostly seascapes. I have several camera systems (makes no sense, but it is what it is), including A7RII and Nikon D800e. I turn 80 in February, so I find myself using the A7RII more and more, and the D800e less, mostly because of bulkiness and weight considerations. For the A7RII I have a Voigtlander 12mm FE, Zeiss 16-35mm f4, 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 lenses. When I use the Nikon, I find I use my Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 IS lens 90% of the time. It is the perfect "walk around" lens (except for size and weight). I would like a 24~70mm zoom (or 24~105 if it's not too big and heavy) for my A7RII. But the reviews of the Sony Zeiss are terrible. Not only lacking sharpness outside of the center of the frame, but even more of a turn off for me is the distortion, especially at the short end, where I would use it most. So the Sony is out for me. The GM 24~70 is way too big and bulky for me. Fast f2.8 aperture is not necessary for me (I do seascapes). So I am considering another brand lens with a "smart" adapter. I am considering a Canon 24~70 f4L IS lens and Metabones "smart adapter". The combination, new, is $1300. The adapter would also allow other Canon lenses, but I really prefer native lenses. Another consideration is the Sigma 24-105 OS Art lens, in Canon mount, and the Sigma MC-11 "smart adapter". The combination is $1150. But I have question: Does the Sigma adapter allow actual Canon brand lenses to be adapted? Or only Sigma branded Canon mount lenses? Does the Metabones adapter work with all Canon mount lenses (Including Canon, Sigma, Tamron, etc?). Does the Metabones have any limitations?
Thanks all for any insight. If you have any experience with the above listed lense, I would appreciate your feedbacl very much.
Merry Christmas all. P.S.: I regularly make 20"x30" prints, so IQ is important.
Dave in NJ
MODERN PICTORIALS
I don't think you have the solution to your issue w weight listed among those lenses.
For example the Sigma w adapter is as heavy or heavier than the 24-70 GM, and the Canon w adapter is maybe 1/2 lb lighter.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Dave

I may be the outlier here but if weight is an issue ... get a couple of the Loxia. They now cover 21 - 85 are smalllll and you will be pressed to
find better IQ. Most of your work that I have seen should be amenable to manual focus with the magnified focus assist of the A7RII. And you do not
have to carry them all on any outing.

Just a thought ... I use MF 90% of the time ... the sea and my rocks and trees do not move that fast that I need AF.

Bob

Hausen

Funny I bought The GM24-70 two days ago because I am a LE shooter and am always on the beach balancing on rocks and such, so changing lenses was always a hassle for me with my Loxias. So I read all of the reviews on image quality on 24-70 and thought I will go down to the shop to see how big this HUGE lens was and was pleasantly surprised on how nice it fit on my A7rII. I shoot 100% on tripod so just made sense. Been out twice with it and love it. If you can rent it then try it cos to me it isn't large at all and I was an M9 + 28/50/90 summicron shooter (until I dropped it in the Harbour)

Pradeep

Dave, I feel your pain. For me, the GM 24-70mm has been the solution to my [similar] problem. Yes, it's heavy. Yes, it's bulky. I went through the Metabones IV adapter with Canon lenses, and the Techart adapter with M lenses, and finally decided that native mount lenses were my best path. The IQ of the GM 24-70mm is outstanding and I use it 90% of the time, just as I used the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 most of the time with my D810 (before I sold both as I transitioned to the Sony a7RII). Don't discount it without trying it. Either rent one or go to the nearest camera store and try one. That's my two cents.

BTW, I always enjoy your seascapes.

Joe
+1

I have the GM 24-70 lens and it is simply outstanding.

I used to have the older Zeiss 24-70 f4 but it was too soft for me. I have the Canon 24-70 and the Metabones adapter. Believe me, it is too cumbersome and the weight/size advantage of the lens is lost with it.

Just FYI. I have the Batis 25 and had the Zeiss/Sony 55 1.8 earlier. The GM 24-70 simply blows away (don't like to use this term but is is very appropriate here) the 55 and certainly in direct head to head comparison outperforms the Batis 25 as well. Never thought a zoom would outdo a prime esp. from Zeiss.

So now the GM stays on my A7RII all the time. Only if I am looking for extreme wide do I pick up my 16-35. It is great for portraits too at 75mm although I prefer to use the Batis 85 for tight shots.

The best thing you can do is get the GM, believe me, it is one helluva lens. Weight is an issue but you get used to it.

gurtch

+1

I have the GM 24-70 lens and it is simply outstanding.

I used to have the older Zeiss 24-70 f4 but it was too soft for me. I have the Canon 24-70 and the Metabones adapter. Believe me, it is too cumbersome and the weight/size advantage of the lens is lost with it.

Just FYI. I have the Batis 25 and had the Zeiss/Sony 55 1.8 earlier. The GM 24-70 simply blows away (don't like to use this term but is is very appropriate here) the 55 and certainly in direct head to head comparison outperforms the Batis 25 as well. Never thought a zoom would outdo a prime esp. from Zeiss.

So now the GM stays on my A7RII all the time. Only if I am looking for extreme wide do I pick up my 16-35. It is great for portraits too at 75mm although I prefer to use the Batis 85 for tight shots.

The best thing you can do is get the GM, believe me, it is one helluva lens. Weight is an issue but you get used to it.
Well, it looks like the GM 24-70 may be in my future. Everyone seems to rave about it's image quality. I mostly use a monopod for my seascape shooting, so this could relieve some of the weight. I also have some A mount lenses left over from when I used an A900 that I could sell to help offset the expense. Thanks all for the valuable input.
Dave in NJ
www.modernpictorials.com