The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CAnon 5D mk IV vs D810 vs A7r II

DougDolde

Sony looks best to me except for menus and maybe not the most lovable of the three in terms of feel or some such "cameraness".

But I've only tried the D810 so that's based on what I've read been influenced by
Ming's review

https://youtu.be/TNja03tkNzE

V

Vivek

Go for the Nikon. :thumbs:

I thunk that will suit you the best!

jdphoto

I've had the D800, but not the D810. I choose the A7rii for it's size, image quality and dynamic range in RAW. Pair it with the stellar 55mm 1.8 and it's hard to beat. I even used a Sony A6500 for a wedding camera backup. It's 11fps is only matched by the bigger models. FE lenses choices are much better, so easier to make an informed decision.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Of course posting here in the Sony forum is likely to overwhelmingly support a Sony A7R II choice. It's my current system of choice primarily for the smaller/lighter and mirrorless capabilities and the fact that I can use a multitude of other lenses as needed on it. I was a long time Nikon 35mm DSLR shooter but eventually the bulk of the system got tiresome for travel. (In full disclosure: I have the Phase One XF 100 system too so bulk is a relative term here, but I don't typically take it on work or non-photography focussed trips).

Do I feel the love for the Sony? Sometimes yes, sometimes no, mostly it's 'meh' ... but it is very lens dependent. I can't fault the files overall though, nor the pure flexibility of the system.

I can only use the system with the battery grip. Without it I find the camera body too small, but I appreciate that this is just my foible with the system. (And applies to the D800/D810 too - I always wanted the 36mp version of the D3s ...)

DougDolde

Not planning to buy any of them but thought the video really shows the image quality of the Sony as superior. Probably unfair to use that Canon model, should have been 5Dsr

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

• There is not much to choose between the Nikon D810 and the A7rII regarding dynamic range.
  • The Sony A7rII is very flexible regarding lens usage. I use it with HCam Master TSII and that allows tilts and some shift with most lenses on the planet.
  • I mostly see the A7rII as an imaging device and it excels at that job.

The downsides are:

• EVF may not be good at following action
  • AF is accurate but not as fast as Canon or Nikon offerings
  • Battery life is short, due to small battery and electronic viewing. A DSLR uses photons for viewing and an EVF is using electrons for viewing, and those electrons are coming from the battery.

On the usability side the menu system is not very logical. You cannot even guess in which menu to look for an option.

• But I have two presets on the camera, one for tripod based shooting and one for hand held.
  • Wish I could have more presets
  • Most buttons can be reassigned to functions
  • There is a function button to which 12 menus can be assigned
So I can set up the camera so I don't need to go into the menus.

I can use the camera with thin gloves.

• If I would shoot Canon lenses and was looking for high resolution and would be willing to give up quite a bit on DR, I would choose the Canon 5Ds/5DsR.
  • If I would shoot Nikon lenses I would look for the Nikon D810.
  • Looking for a flexible solution with an electronic viewfinder the A7rII is a good solution.

I am mostly shooting Canon lenses with the Sony A7rII, I have the 24/3.5 TSE LII, the 16-35/4L and the 24-105/4L and may buy the 100-400/4.5-5.6 LII. So, it may be feasible that I would possibly switch to Canon at some time, if I wanted or needed. Presently I use a Sony 70-400/4-5.6G for long work and a Sony 90/2.8G for macro. I also have two Contax (135) lenses used for tilt work, the 28-85/3.3-4 and the 35-135/3.3-4.5.

Even the Canon 24-105/4L gives good performance on the A7rII, se the images below:
Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 07.39.04.jpg
The full image at 105 mm and f/5.6, 1/250s handheld with AF

Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 07.39.13.jpg
Actual pixels crop.

A downside with Sony is repairs, AFAIK. None of my Sony equipment had issues, yet. It seems that some Sony customers get good and affordable repair services and others have bad and exoensive experience. Canon seems to have a very good repair service for professionals.

Best regards
Erik

Last edited: