The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How is the 6300 and which zoom is good for ...........

rollsman44

I am trying to downsize my equipment and trying to get a 6300 and looking for a good zoom lens with about 24-105 /2,8 or 4,0 for this camera. Any suggestions on the lens? Thanks

Bugleone

I have just aquired the a6000 but have not had the chance to use it much over the last 3 weeks that i have had it. From what I can see the a6300 and even the new a6500 are essentially the same camera with only detail differences that are not likely to be 'game changers' to me such as 4k video and better anti-shake...nice to have but NOT worth TWICE (a6300) and THREE TIMES (a6500) the price!

It really comes down to what you expect of your camera, what sort of shots you make, what you are going to do with the images you make and finally, what you think is a fair/OK price.....

For me personally, had I been prepared to spend the cost of an a6300 I would have moved away from Sony altogether and bought a Fuji since they are much better products, make better images and are not blighted by Sony's attitude towards it's customers, which tends towards the grasping and exploitive......little tricks to make it awkward to use non Sony accesories and poor repair policies etc etc Sony makes good sensors and image quality is good but the a6000 series/NEX are sort of the 'Ford hatchbacks' of photography in my view and best regarded as such. I do like to sometimes make large prints and have had some (from NEX 3) hung in exhibitions amd also used as large promotional images....amazing for such a small, amateur and inexpensive camera but were i to be a serious image maker again I would look for a complete system with useable lenses and value for money prices which Sony does NOT (in my view) offer.

iiiNelson

Your options are the 16-70 E-mount which is a pretty good lens that most feel is priced about 50% too high or you can adapt APS-C A-mount glass. There's the 16-105, the 16-80, and maybe a couple others that slip my mind.

The A6300 is a very good camera but the A6500 has quite a few real advantages over it that have been discussed in the past.

pegelli

Also take a look at the E18-105/4. A lot cheaper then the CZ E16-70/4 and optical quality as good as the CZ.
Only disadvantages are that it's a Power Zoom and bigger.

k-hawinkler

Also take a look at the E18-105/4. A lot cheaper then the CZ E16-70/4 and optical quality as good as the CZ.
Only disadvantages are that it's a Power Zoom and bigger.
Thanks. Great suggestions. I have the a6300, great camera, but should have waited for the a6500 with IBIS. As my main camera is the A7r2 I stopped buying E-lenses and focus on FE-lenses instead with double duty on FF and APS-C cameras. For lots of light, no-action style photography the older cameras NEX-5N and NEX-7 still do very well. :thumbup: