The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony FE 24-70f/2.8 G lens vs primes

felix5616

Curious as to how good a Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 G lens is compared to a Batis 25 f/2, Loxia 35mm and Sony 55 f/1.8 lens in terms of edge sharpness and chromatic aberration.

The Ute

There are numerous reviews on the Web with test results and scientific analysis (DxO Mark for example). But if anecdotal evidence matters, when I bought the GM 24-70mm lens and used it for a short time, I sold my Batis 25mm, FE 55mm and Loxia 35mm lenses. The GM (for me) is like having a bag of primes. Just sayin'.

Joe
Yeah. And it's your fault I now one one and am contemplating doing the same w my primes.

felix5616

There are numerous reviews on the Web with test results and scientific analysis (DxO Mark for example). But if anecdotal evidence matters, when I bought the GM 24-70mm lens and used it for a short time, I sold my Batis 25mm, FE 55mm and Loxia 35mm lenses. The GM (for me) is like having a bag of primes. Just sayin'.

Joe
Thanks. Appreciate the help

The Ute

Thanks. Appreciate the help
Only thing I'd add is that you need to be prepared to carry around a heavier lens if you decide to go w just the 24-70.
That said it also replaces 3 primes which taken together aren't all that light.
I haven't found it to be a problem thus far but not everyone would feel that way.
And I still haven't sold my primes yet.

Hausen

I agree with Joe, I bought one at a Boxing Day sale, 15% off, because was going on a trip that was likely to be windy and changing lenses in the wind drives me crazy. Verdict is I am stunned how good it is and how versatile it is. I shoot 90% long exposure. Just had to buy a set of 82mm NDs.

Last edited:

Pradeep

Joe
Me too.

Sold off my 55FE. Now planning to sell the Batis 25. I might even consider selling the Batis 85 since the extra FL does not seem to do that much for me.

It is really that good.

Now if they come up with an equally good 70-200 lens I would give up most of my Canon stuff.