The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Checking the shutter count on a Sony A7rii

jdphoto

I tried "shutter count.com, but it didn't work. There's RawDigger, but I didn't want to have to purchase a license. Is there any other reliable program i'm missing other then trying to establish it from my LR catalogs?

pegelli

You could try this one : SONY Alpha shutter count tool

EDIT: just checked with some A7Rii files I had on my computer (from loaning the camera a day from a friend) and that model doesn't seem to be supported :(
it just spins the wheel and when finished just returns to the input screen, while with my normal A6000 files it goes to the next screen and reports the shutter count.

EDIT2: Just checked the freeware program PIE from Picmeta systems: PIE Studio - EXIF IPTC & Print Software | Picmeta Systems, that one shows (among a zillion other things) the image count of the camera, also for A7Rii files. I also checked, the tool takes into account the additional shutter actuations when for instance using sweep panorama or Multi-Frame-Noise-Reduction.

Last edited:

jdphoto

If you only have one camera to check and won't have a need to check the shutter count over a long period of time, then you can use RawDigger in "Free Trial" mode.

For $20 (USD) it's the best app I've found for providing a ton of information on RAW files and worth having in my toolbox. YMMV.

Joe
Joe,
Thanks for that. The trial version is 31 days and it is a good deal. So far the only exif data that relates to shutter actuations is:

image count - 2615
image count 3 - 2615
Both numbers are the same @ 2615, so i'm assuming that's how many actuations since I purchased the camera. Thanks again! Great forum!

Last edited:

pegelli

Yes, image count is the EXIF field that records shutter actuations for the Sony camera(s).
I agree, but the name is confusing. I don't understand why they don't call it shutter count (what it is). For instance shooting a sweep panorama, in camera HDR or MFNR only 1 final image (in jpg format) is produced. However the image count moves up by the number of shutter actuations used to make this one image. :loco:

jdphoto

You could try this one : SONY Alpha shutter count tool

EDIT: just checked with some A7Rii files I had on my computer (from loaning the camera a day from a friend) and that model doesn't seem to be supported :(
it just spins the wheel and when finished just returns to the input screen, while with my normal A6000 files it goes to the next screen and reports the shutter count.

EDIT2: Just checked the freeware program PIE from Picmeta systems: PIE Studio - EXIF IPTC & Print Software | Picmeta Systems, that one shows (among a zillion other things) the image count of the camera, also for A7Rii files. I also checked, the tool takes into account the additional shutter actuations when for instance using sweep panorama or Multi-Frame-Noise-Reduction.
I think I'll try that one too. Just to confirm image count. Thank you.