The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

another a7II to a7rII upgrade question

doug

I'm evaluating an a7rII to supplement and possibly replace my a7II and have found that the a7rII gives me more aliasing in fine feather detail than the a7II does, and I suspect it's due to the lack of an AA filter. Has anyone else encountered this? Any remedies?

jdphoto

Doug,
This is from an article...
If you are processing a RAW capture that contains moiré patterns, you can use Adobe Camera Raw (or by extension, Lightroom’s Develop module) to reduce the appearance of these patterns. Simply select the Adjustment Brush, making sure that all of the adjustments are at their default values. Then increase the value for Moire Reduction to the maximum value of 100, and paint on the image in the area where the moiré patterns appear. You can then reduce the value for Moire Reduction to the minimum level required to remove the interference patterns.

I recently shot a wedding where there was moire patterns on fine fabric walls to silky patterns on dresses and suits. I shot hundreds of images and no moire was present in the final photos.. Oddly, I only observed moire in the EVF. The A7R2's output rivaled MFD. Sometimes changing focal lengths or apertures can reduce the presence of moire. If shallow DOF is needed, maybe add a bokeh type filter around the subject for isolation if having to use smaller apertures.
The ability to generously crop an image with A7R2 might help if reducing the focal length of your lens.

The RX1RII has a variable AA filter you can adjust from some to none. Yes, a fixed lens camera, but I think this tech will find its way into the upcoming A7R3.

Last edited:

doug

Doug,
This is from an article...
If you are processing a RAW capture that contains moiré patterns, you can use Adobe Camera Raw (or by extension, Lightroom’s Develop module) to reduce the appearance of these patterns. Simply select the Adjustment Brush, making sure that all of the adjustments are at their default values. Then increase the value for Moire Reduction to the maximum value of 100, and paint on the image in the area where the moiré patterns appear. You can then reduce the value for Moire Reduction to the minimum level required to remove the interference patterns.
Anything comparable in C1? Is this for aliasing or for color moire?

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

C1 has a similar tool. Also, I would say that C1 is better at hiding colour moiré.

In all cases this is more like local desaturation and smearing of colour information, so the programs don't really adress the aliasing but reduce the most obvious effect, name colour moiré.

Best regards
Erik

Anything comparable in C1? Is this for aliasing or for color moire?

fotografz

Hi Doug,

I've not encountered this with my A7R-II ... yet.

Nothing like you, but I've been doing a little exotic bird photography here in Florida ... plus I do not have the nice Leica lenses you use. I use Lightroom exclusively.

In fact, I do not recall aliasing or moire even with fabrics at weddings ... but have had it appear when shooting weddings with the Leica S(006).

I'll be interested in further comments myself.

- Marc

doug

Hi,

C1 has a similar tool. Also, I would say that C1 is better at hiding colour moiré.

In all cases this is more like local desaturation and smearing of colour information, so the programs don't really adress the aliasing but reduce the most obvious effect, name colour moiré.

Best regards
Erik
The color moire is under control, it's the aliasing I'm trying to get around. Has anyone tried telling SteadyShot an alternate fact with a falsehood focal length? Would this induce a bit of blur that would mask the aliasing?

doug

doug

Here's one idea I had: have Kolari Vision add an AA filter to the camera. They can put an a7II AA filter on, I'm inquiring about the cost. They haven't done this before so they can't say how much effect it will have.

Am I correct in guessing that with the a7II's AA filter and the a7RII's denser pixel array I'd be over-sampling at a7II resolution?

ggibson

Might be worth waiting a bit for any new camera body announcements if the A7rII isn't suiting your needs. Rumor sites seem to be postulating that a new model in between the A7II and A7rII (probably called A7III) will be announced quite soon given the A7II came out over 2 years ago now. Hard to say whether it'll have an AA filter or not, since a lot of camera manufacturers seem to be leaving them out these days, but maybe it'll have the same pseudo-AA filter using IBIS like the RX1rII.

doug

So... I spent a few more days photographing some of the most problematic species (wish I could have found some quail, they're the worst!) and pixel-peeping the photos shows my concerns are overblown. Yes there are a few instances of aliasing but in the vast majority of the images it will disappear at normal viewing distance.