The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Samyang/Rokinon 24mm f/3.5 Tilt-Shift Lens on A7rII

Hausen

Has anybody had any experience with this lens on the A7rII in FE mount? My question centres mainly around the fact that I often like to shoot panoramas when hiking in NZ. Recently I climbed Ben Lomond in Queenstown and on the summit setup my Nodal Ninja 3, 21 Loxia and with the wind, setup time and number of people pushing past it was a great hassle to get the shot I wanted. My wife left the summit 10 mins before me because she impatient waiting.:) Have used the Canon TSEs extensively on A7rII but just didn't like adapted lenses and MB IV I found to be inconsistent. So the only native option would be the Samyang/Rokinon but reviews are mixed. I will shoot 100% on tripod, 100% at F8-11 and likely always shifted/stitched panos.

daf

Has anybody had any experience with this lens on the A7rII in FE mount? My question centres mainly around the fact that I often like to shoot panoramas when hiking in NZ. Recently I climbed Ben Lomond in Queenstown and on the summit setup my Nodal Ninja 3, 21 Loxia and with the wind, setup time and number of people pushing past it was a great hassle to get the shot I wanted. My wife left the summit 10 mins before me because she impatient waiting.:) Have used the Canon TSEs extensively on A7rII but just didn't like adapted lenses and MB IV I found to be inconsistent. So the only native option would be the Samyang/Rokinon but reviews are mixed. I will shoot 100% on tripod, 100% at F8-11 and likely always shifted/stitched panos.

One of the main issue reported for the samyang is control quality, and decentering, so be carefull when you buy it.
I have shot the Cambo Actar 24 on the Sony... it is the same lens but remounted by Cambo, and i must say that this lens was perfectly centered.
My actar was definitly sharper than my 24tse @f11, but suffer from a quite present barrel distorsion(easy to correct wih C1).
It also show a bit of CA at the edge when shiffted.
I'll be out of office for next few days, but if you send me your email, i'll send you some raw...

gebseng

I've also had mixed experiences with this lens on my A7 so far.

First, I bought this lens in a Pentax K mount and used it with a cheap K&F Concept adapter on the Sony. Apart from the barrel distortion, the results were really good. Pretty good corners at f11 IMO.

To deal with the distortion, I jotted down the amount of shift for every shot and used this data in the Capture One Lens Corrections tool's "movements" tab along with the Distortion slider set to 24% (there is no C1 profile for this lens alas). The results were perfect for stitching, you can find a full resolution layered tiff (three images, shifted 12mm left and right) here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3949609/Untitled_Panorama4.tif

Untitled_Panorama4.jpg

There was one problem though: on the Pentax K to Sony E adapter, the camera and lens mounts were rotated about 4 degrees against each other. This is a non issue for normal lenses, but with a shift lens used for stitching, it means that a shift to the left also shifts up a little bit, and a right shift also shifts down a little bit.

So, I exchanged the Pentax mount lens with the more expensive E mount version. This version was optically as good as the first one, but it had massive internal reflections inside the lens tube, which made it practically unusable. Example here:
_DSC0894.jpeg

So, at the moment I'm not sure what to do with this lens. I would have to paint or line the lens tube with flocking material to make it useable.

Hausen

I've also had mixed experiences with this lens on my A7 so far.

First, I bought this lens in a Pentax K mount and used it with a cheap K&F Concept adapter on the Sony. Apart from the barrel distortion, the results were really good. Pretty good corners at f11 IMO.

To deal with the distortion, I jotted down the amount of shift for every shot and used this data in the Capture One Lens Corrections tool's "movements" tab along with the Distortion slider set to 24% (there is no C1 profile for this lens alas). The results were perfect for stitching, you can find a full resolution layered tiff (three images, shifted 12mm left and right) here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3949609/Untitled_Panorama4.tif

View attachment 125384

There was one problem though: on the Pentax K to Sony E adapter, the camera and lens mounts were rotated about 4 degrees against each other. This is a non issue for normal lenses, but with a shift lens used for stitching, it means that a shift to the left also shifts up a little bit, and a right shift also shifts down a little bit.

So, I exchanged the Pentax mount lens with the more expensive E mount version. This version was optically as good as the first one, but it had massive internal reflections inside the lens tube, which made it practically unusable. Example here:
View attachment 125383

So, at the moment I'm not sure what to do with this lens. I would have to paint or line the lens tube with flocking material to make it useable.
Damn I ordered one last night, should have checked the forum to see if there were replies. Will comment once it turns up and I get a chance to play with it.

Hausen

Curious to see if your copy has the same problems...
Mine was terrible as well. I could only shift 5mm to the left before the shot completely whited out, could shift right to 10mm but I had all sorts of reflections in the sky on most stitching attempts. Too hard to use so mine is going back. Bit the bullet yesterday and purchased a Cambo Actus Mini with a 24 Actar. Can't wait for that now.

thrice

E-mount adapters having internal reflections is very common, even in high-end adapters.
Some flocking material used for telescopes is your best solution.

gebseng

Hi again,

I found a solution for the Samyang 24TS on the Sony Alpha 7 that I'm quite happy with so far. I ordered the lens in Sony A mount and use it with the Sony LA-EA3 E-mount adapter. All internal reflection problems are solved (the adapter has flocking inside).

I processed the files in Capture One 10, please see screen shot for detailed settings.

I also attached a Photoshop Photomerge stitch of five exposures, one central and the other four shifted 12mm left/right/up/down. Stitching is seamless, distortion insignificant and corner sharpness quite OK at f11.

best,

geb

screen-capture.jpg

samyang sony a landscape 21% - perfekt.jpg

full resolution here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gaonpm6jo7czww9/samyang sony a landscape 21% - perfekt.jpg?dl=0

Hausen

Hi again,

I found a solution for the Samyang 24TS on the Sony Alpha 7 that I'm quite happy with so far. I ordered the lens in Sony A mount and use it with the Sony LA-EA3 E-mount adapter. All internal reflection problems are solved (the adapter has flocking inside).

I processed the files in Capture One 10, please see screen shot for detailed settings.

I also attached a Photoshop Photomerge stitch of five exposures, one central and the other four shifted 12mm left/right/up/down. Stitching is seamless, distortion insignificant and corner sharpness quite OK at f11.

best,

geb

View attachment 125959

View attachment 125960

full resolution here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gaonpm6jo7czww9/samyang sony a landscape 21% - perfekt.jpg?dl=0
They look great. Funny that there is a lens that works better with an adaptor than with a native mount. Very amusing. I thought when I opened the box originally that then lens looked like an adapted lens anyway becasue of the unusual shape of the obvious addition to make it fit with E mount. I am happy mine is gone and am learning to play with my Actus + Actar 24.