The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF assist on a6000

Bugleone

The Sony a6000 has a feature which offers a magnified image area for checking manual focus. Unfortunately, this is not as well implemented as it is in the earlier NEX models which had a dedicated button for 'MF assist'. On the a6000 one is obliged to go into the menu each time to use the MF assist, and it is 'cleared' when the shutter is activated to take the shot.

.....I have looked at the menu for customising a button just for MF assist/magnifier but it seems this is not a listed option!

Does anyone know if this is indeed possible in some way?.....so that the magnifier can be independant of the menus?

pegelli

Which focusing mode?

I have it programmed on my A6000 that C1 does this in MF mode.
In DMF a slight twist of the focus ring does it.
Haven't looked at the AF-S, AF-A and AF-C modes, but there I have not felt the need to use MF assist, so have not searched for it either.

Bugleone

Pieter,..thanks for reply!

I'm trying to use my Canon FD lenses via an adaptor, so I assume that is just 'simple' manual focus....... There seems to be a prescribed list of possible functions that can be attributed to custom buttons, not including 'MF assist', so how did you use C1?

pegelli

It's called "Focus Magnifier" in the custom key settings.
I've got that assigned to C1. First press brings up the focus frame, the second press magnifies 5.9x, third press it magnifies 11.7x and fourth press back to the normal viewfinder/LCD screen.

Bugleone

....i've got it now, thank you Pieter!....I did not scroll down far enough on the final menu as i assumed it was like the main menus and all on one page...duh!

pegelli

Glad to help, and in testing my A6000 today I found something strange.

If you program the focus magnifier on C1 it works as I described in my previous post above.

However if you program it on C2 (which is about the same place where I have programmed it on my NEX6) it works differently. Pressing C2 will then only bring up the frame and then you need to push the center button to get the 5.9x and 11.7x magnifications. Beats me why they implemented this function differently between C1 and C2 :confused: