The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony has become #2 in the 35mm Full Frame Market Within the USA

jdphoto

I'm not surprised at Sony's achievement. They essentially dictated what other camera makers are doing now, be it MFD or FF. However, I think the number one camera choice is a mobile phone, which in itself is pretty pathetic, because so many don't appreciate the the skills of a professional photographer. Just look at the wedding market. When Sony announces its new cameras this week hopefully things will get even more exciting. Professional photographers really need to stand out more then ever.

iiiNelson

I'm not surprised at Sony's achievement. They essentially dictated what other camera makers are doing now, be it MFD or FF. However, I think the number one camera choice is a mobile phone, which in itself is pretty pathetic, because so many don't appreciate the the skills of a professional photographer. Just look at the wedding market. When Sony announces its new cameras this week hopefully things will get even more exciting. Professional photographers really need to stand out more then ever.
I agree with you and also believe that with the wedding market some of the push that makes it harder for wedding photographers is economy related, the area one works within, and a perceived "value related" decision. What an experienced wedding coordinator or director will tell a couple is to invest in the things that last when on a tight budget like pictures, photographers, nice decorations, rings, etc. and maybe scale the number of guests, food choices, etc.

Those are parts of the day that will be remembered.

DougDolde

Does anyone really love their Sony camera? I know the image quality is great but camera itself seems to be unlovable by most

V

Vivek

Does anyone really love their Sony camera? I know the image quality is great but camera itself seems to be unlovable by most
I never loved any camera gear and that includes fondlable Leicas.

I do really like my Sony gear because they do what i want them to do. All the BS about not being able "bond with" the Sony cams (all the while still using it)is just utter non sense.

DougDolde

I never loved any camera gear and that includes fondlable Leicas.

I do really like my Sony gear because they do what i want them to do. All the BS about not being able "bond with" the Sony cams (all the while still using it)is just utter non sense.
I've loved several cameras. Most notably my now sold Arca Swiss Field 4x5 and my Contax 645 kit. Can't really say that about myPhase Ons XF but it's certainly likable

iiiNelson

I generally see that the bulk of the Sony criticism comes from a few places and types of people.

1)People who don't like EVF
2)People that have issue with sony as a company
3)People that dislike the menu and usually don't live with the Sony system long enough
4)People that have unrealistic and uninformed expectations of mirrorless systems
5)People with specialized desires
6)People more heavily tied into another system
7)People that regurgitate what they hear on the internet and don't bother to see if it's an issue for them

I like my Sony gear and I agree with Vivek that I can't say that I've loved any camera. I guess the M9/M9-P would be the closet I've owned to "loving" but even they had quirks, quality, and reliability issues.

In the end I can say that the Sony's (A7/A7R/A7RII/A77) that I've owned have all been highly reliable and just work. They do what I ask. They're versatile and they have cutting edge sensors with very good lenses. There's really isn't another "do everything" camera I would trade the A7RII for on the market. That's not to say other cameras can't accomplish the same things but I don't feel like I'm missing much with the Sony. For me the next step up would be Medium Format to add and not replace what the Sony can do.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I believe the love or lack of love for a certain camera boils down to each individual's mindset rather than needs. We think in different ways and cameras work in different ways. For some reason the Panasonics suit me very well. I have four of them (GH1, GM5, GX8 and since yesterday G85), and those are what I use. I struggled with the E-M1 and sold it. Me and a Sony is total crash, in spite of trying them countless times, and it's more than the menus. Others have a great relationship with Sony cameras, and the camera shop where I buy my stuff, one of the most reputable shops in Thailand, sells more Sonys than any other interchangeable lens camera, including Canon and Nikon. Some people apparently like Sony cameras ;)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I generally see that the bulk of the Sony criticism comes from a few places and types of people.

1)People who don't like EVF
2)People that have issue with sony as a company
3)People that dislike the menu and usually don't live with the Sony system long enough
4)People that have unrealistic and uninformed expectations of mirrorless systems
5)People with specialized desires
6)People more heavily tied into another system
7)People that regurgitate what they hear on the internet and don't bother to see if it's an issue for them

I like my Sony gear and I agree with Vivek that I can't say that I've loved any camera. I guess the M9/M9-P would be the closet I've owned to "loving" but even they had quirks, quality, and reliability issues.

In the end I can say that the Sony's (A7/A7R/A7RII/A77) that I've owned have all been highly reliable and just work. They do what I ask. They're versatile and they have cutting edge sensors with very good lenses. There's really isn't another "do everything" camera I would trade the A7RII for on the market. That's not to say other cameras can't accomplish the same things but I don't feel like I'm missing much with the Sony. For me the next step up would be Medium Format to add and not replace what the Sony can do.
You forgot battery life. It's a big issue for some, and it still is for me also with my current cameras. It's an inherent challenge with all mirrorless cameras, but some are worse than others.

iiiNelson

You forgot battery life. It's a big issue for some, and it still is for me also with my current cameras. It's an inherent challenge with all mirrorless cameras, but some are worse than others.
I guess it depends on how you shoot but no matter the camera, battery life is about equally bad (3-400 photos per charge) on all mirrorless cameras with an EVF based system except the Leica SL. That being said I like that the Sony mirrorless batteries are universal, inexpensive, and easy to find for reasonable prices through Amazon.

jdphoto

I love the build quality of the Sony A7R2 and have no issues with the menus either. It's pretty intuitive once you've become familiar. It has one of the best native lens line ups and excellent quality. I'm not sure "unloved by most" is accurate for one of the best selling cameras of all time. Probably more accurate to say,"unloved by most other camera manufacturers".

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I guess it depends on how you shoot but no matter the camera, battery life is about equally bad (3-400 photos per charge) on all mirrorless cameras with an EVF based system except the Leica SL. That being said I like that the Sony mirrorless batteries are universal, inexpensive, and easy to find for reasonable prices through Amazon.
... and the Panasonic GH3/4/5

V

Vivek

Jorgen, I see proliferation of cheap DSLRs everywhere.

Oddly, I only have seen them worn as an accessory and never in action.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

RX1R II, The Hague

iiiNelson

I love the build quality of the Sony A7R2 and have no issues with the menus either. It's pretty intuitive once you've become familiar. It has one of the best native lens line ups and excellent quality. I'm not sure "unloved by most" is accurate for one of the best selling cameras of all time. Probably more accurate to say,"unloved by most other camera manufacturers".
I agree the camera menus are similar across all Alpha cameras. The NEX 5 was quite a bit different but not hard to undersatand. The Panasonic G1 menu was simple as was the M9 but they didn't do quite as much as my Sony cameras. I think what many are missing though is that the camera is able to be customized to the owner and the quick menu all but eliminates the need to dive into the menus beyond formatting cards on a regular basis for photography needs. Video may not be applicable to this claim but I'm not sur as I do very little video right now.