The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Feedback on 50mm f/3.5 Heliar (non-collapsible) ?

KenLee

Do any of our esteemed members have some images or feedback to share ?

My 55mm Micro Nikkor is a superb performer but with adapter it's not very small or light. For travel purposes and affordability I'm drawn to the small form-factor and comparatively modest price of the Heliar 3.5 as a light and tiny screw-mount lens. I confess: I've been spoiled by the 75mm Color-Heliar in screw-mount: very small, light and sharp - and not too pricey used.

I don't need a lens which opens wide or has autofocus or stabilization. I'm know that the aperture dial rotates and has no click stops.

Many thanks !

V

Vivek

Two alternate possibilities:

1. Sony FE 50/1.8 (presumably focuses fast on the A7r II).
2. Sony FE 55/1.8. You should get this lens. Just awesome!

Both are reasonably light weight and small enough. The 55/1.8 will make you forget the Micronikkor. Add some extension tubes and you can even do close ups.

KenLee

Thank you Vivek. The price is certainly right.

Since the lens is fully automatic, do we need a "fancy" extension tube set to communicate with the camera, so that we can adjust the aperture ?

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Hi Ken, The FE 50/1.8 is priced favorably. Yes, you need extension tubes with electrical contacts to operate the aperture of these lenses (AF would be useless).
These tubes (generic, from China) are also reasonably priced unlike the very first introduced by Kenko.