The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony's new camera A9

pegelli

Saw the video. It was long. He could have said all that in ten minutes
Well nobody is complaining you needed 20+ posts to explain the camera is not for you because it's not weather sealed and lacks the proper long lenses. Seems getting long winded is caused by the excitement, both for the likes and the dislikes of this camera ;)

iiiNelson

Saw the video. It was long. He could have said all that in ten minutes, but since he kept repeating the advantages of the amazing new back button focus, just like on a real DSLR and on most of my Panasonics, and the sensational new control wheel on the top left, which I think I've seen before somewhere also. Might be on a Panasonic, or was it a Nikon or Pentax maybe? The A7 video button that was perfect a couple of years ago (yes, I mentioned that on this forum then and I got some replies :) ) was now terrible and has been moved to a better place on the A9. Then there was the shutter speed and frames per second that is even on par with the E-M1 II. Sensational that too.

Yes, it's a nice camera, but he talked about it as if Sony just invented all that stuff. He also kept switching between calling the viewfinder 3.6 million dots and 4K. 3.6 million dots is not 4K, never was and never will be. Or maybe I have too much dirt in my ears. Maybe he said "for you?". No, it isn't for me either :ROTFL:

Now I'll make you all happy by going to bed. Goodnight :)
I was happy with the video record button on the side and out of my way. I hated it on the NEX-5 and nothing made me happier than when Sony released the firmware update to completely disable it. I know many use the video features but I can count on one hand how often they've been intentionally used by me.

People have been able to back button focus for as long as I could remember on Sony cameras but I'm sure he highlighted concerns and questions that he probably receives from colleagues that some others may have. I thought the video was well thought out, his views were objective, he stated the merits of the A9 without a need to "trash" other brands that have served him well, and it's coming from a voice (paid or otherwise) of firsthand experience. The additional controls were likely in response to what some are comfortable with. I have all of those controls set to a quick menu item and takes all of a few seconds to change if I need to. A direct control is fine but it's not needed for me personally. Yes he misspoke about the EVF but you knew what he meant by saying "4K" so it's splitting hairs. Also the image quality from a Micro 4/3 just isn't the same as a full frame just as a full frame isn't the same as a 645 format camera... it's just not no matter how much you try to compare them. It's not to say Micro 4/3 is bad because it's not but the E-M1mk2 just isn't in the same class IQ wise. Hence why many still run a Fuill Frame system alongside it.

Whats to complain about other than contrary opinion to alternative facts?

V

Vivek

The video is useless. I turned it off after 45s. Sony is wasting money on him.

That guy got corrected by one of the viewers.

"There are no moving parts".

Right. :ROTFL:

k-hawinkler

Thanks, interesting read.

What I conclude from this one it's not so much the lens IS that determines 5 or 3 axis stabilization, but that it has to fall back to 3 axis for lenses that do not report the focal distance to the camera, because for correcting the pitch/yaw axis you need this information.
Well, no. AFAIK you need for

• roll: no extra information
• pitch and yaw: focal length
• for X and Y: focal length and focus distance. For infinity this correction goes to 0. Most important for macro shots.

BTW, there is no tilting of the sensor, only X- and Y-translations of it, in addition to what ever else the lens does. :facesmack:

iiiNelson

The video is useless. I turned it off after 45s. Sony is wasting money on him.

That guy got corrected by one of the viewers.

"There are no moving parts".

Right. :ROTFL:
Is it at all possible that the preproduction camera (#454) he tested only had electronic shutter or the menu to select mechanical shutter was disabled and he was reporting on the conditions that were true for him?

Not being an apologist but just saying that they weren't provided documentation as stated.

V

Vivek

Is it at all possible that the preproduction camera (#454) he tested only had electronic shutter or the menu to select mechanical shutter was disabled and he was reporting on the conditions that were true for him?

Not being an apologist but just saying that they weren't provided documentation as stated.

How many moving parts are there in the A9?

Answer: 3*

(1. LCD, 2. Shutter, 3. Sensor)

The most delicate part of the camera, the sensor, it shakes!

*4 If the diopter adjustment is also considered.

iiiNelson

How many moving parts are there in the A9?

Answer: 3*

(1. LCD, 2. Shutter, 3. Sensor)

The most delicate part of the camera, the sensor, it shakes!

*4 If the diopter adjustment is also considered.
True but I believe he was thinking more along the lines of mechanical shutter and mirror transports which are commonly replaced items for sports shooters.

V

Vivek

No, Tre. You need not have to be apologistic.

He was not thinking. Check out the viewer comments in that video.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Why are people so worried about moving parts? The only parts that have failed for me with digital cameras are electronics (Fuji S5, Panasonic GH1), rotating controls (Fuji S3, Nikon D2Xs) and cracked bodies (Panasonic GH1 and Nikon D80). The A9 owns 5 rotating controls in addition to 2 command wheels and a joy stick. Those are all moving parts in addition to the LCD, shutter and sensor, 10 moving parts plus diopter control and push buttons. In addition, there's probably more electronics than in any other camera. Cameras fail sometimes. The A9 will too.

V

Vivek

That looks like a grip I have seen. It was made by Canon for its range finder camera. It was too expensive for me to buy (collector item).

It does make sense. I hope some one makes similar ones for all of Sony's E mount cams.

Knorp

That looks like a grip I have seen. It was made by Canon for its range finder camera. It was too expensive for me to buy (collector item).

It does make sense. I hope some one makes similar ones for all of Sony's E mount cams.
It's mentioned it should fit the A7II-series too (a7 II, a7R II, & a7S II).

V

Vivek

Thanks, Bart. Especially for mentioning what the video says. No patience to watch the over excited unboxing/intro videos.

iiiNelson

So after absorbing a bit more information on the A9, I will say that this camera should excite Medium Format users as this could be the technological baseline that the next generation of Medium Format cameras will possibly be built upon. We could see a fundamental change to where Medium Format could be realistically used for general photography and no longer being confined to studio and controlled lighting in the very near future.

More reason to skip the first round of mirrorless Medium Format and see what comes with a bit of maturation. All of them will possibly have full time Phase detect autofocus over a large portion of the sensor and electronic shutters to get around the limitations of not having a focal plane shutter. We can also expect Medium Format 4K with faster sensor readout. Exciting times for those looking to the future of the camera industry.

dseelig

I know a few ot the sony artisans one I shot with many times Don told me the af is better then the 1dx mk11 and yes he has shot bith cameras

Pradeep

I know a few ot the sony artisans one I shot with many times Don told me the af is better then the 1dx mk11 and yes he has shot bith cameras
That is what I am looking for. I guess I can do a search but any links to an official review yet? That really is the ONLY thing holding me back from selling my Canon stuff now. Typically I would lock on to the eye of the animal as it is coming towards me or simply moving around randomly. I want the camera to keep that eye in focus, shifting the AF spot as the animal moves or other objects come in front. Difficult for most cameras to do this, have never tried it on my A7R2. It should also be extremely easy to manually select a particular AF point without going into multiple menus or taking your eye off the viewfinder.

Does this make sense ?
Being someone with spatula hands, having an attachment like this would be essential I think. Would let you get a normal grip on the camera but without over-bulking it with a battery grip. Some people who had early handling of this camera already report their fingers bumping into some of the bigger lenses, which is the result of trying to bunch up all your phalanges into a small area.

Honestly the A9 could've been a bigger camera overall, if you're going to give it a number increase over your regular camera line, then there's no reason to stick to the A7 design too much.

V

Vivek

I am like the many who likes a modular approach with keeping the body size/heft to the minimum.

If one wants bulk they can add this or any 3rd party grips or the battery grip, etc