The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony's new camera A9

That is what I am looking for. I guess I can do a search but any links to an official review yet? That really is the ONLY thing holding me back from selling my Canon stuff now. Typically I would lock on to the eye of the animal as it is coming towards me or simply moving around randomly. I want the camera to keep that eye in focus, shifting the AF spot as the animal moves or other objects come in front. Difficult for most cameras to do this, have never tried it on my A7R2. It should also be extremely easy to manually select a particular AF point without going into multiple menus or taking your eye off the viewfinder.
also look at the a6500 as a partner to the a9.

Pradeep

also look at the a6500 as a partner to the a9.
Yes, that was pointed out to me in another forum as well. I've been thinking of it as a low-cost spare body on field trips to Africa. From what I hear the AF is fast as is the frame rate and buffer. I may have a maximum of 400mm lens with me and this would then give me extra reach without losing pixels if I were to use the A9 in the APS-C mode.

I believe it uses the same batteries as the A7RII, which means I will still have 3 different batteries - A9, A7RII/a6500, Rx1R2. However, these are all smaller than the 1DX or 7D2 batteries. Will still need to carry three chargers - unless I go for the new one common to both A9 and A7RII/a6500. That is a big beast, costs $399 and weighs 400gm without batteries. In any case, having the same battery for two cameras is much easier.

V

Vivek

It seems ther are no provisions for playstation apps in the A9 unlike every other E mount camera! Sign that it truly is a pro camera? :grin:

Pradeep

I have looked at all the reports on the A9 so far, including various YT videos. Most pros are very enthusiastic about its AF capabilities. Given the restriction on the images (which will end tomorrow), it will be a few more days before actual hands-on reports with images come through. However, it does seem to be quite a capable action sports camera which is likely to translate into a capable wildlife camera.

Hmmm.......anybody interested in an almost new 1DXII? :)

Pradeep

Here's another one, now with images, from Brian Smith. Gives it a big thumbs up. However, he does say at the end that if you are looking for High ISO performance, the A7RII is better and for 4K video the A7SII. Still, the AF is said to be really amazing, including eye-AF which is 30% faster than previous Sony cameras. The EVF refreshes faster than the human eye!

One interesting new feature which for me is absolutely great is that the EVF/Monitor switching is disabled when the LCD is tilted up, i.e. when shooting from waist or even lower. This always used to black out the LCD for me as the sensor looked at my body or camera strap and switched to EVF.

http://briansmith.com/sony-a9-camera-fe-100-400mm-gm-lens-review/

seb

Beside the dynamic range, ISO-performance and all other possible quality issues (banding, ...) I'm wondering how this camera works together with the whole lens lineup. I'm more interested about the AF-performance in a closer range for lenses like 28/2, 35/1.4, 55/1.8, 85/1.4GM, 90/2.8G Macro. Or if it they do not work fast enough, is it possible with the newer lenses like the 24-70GM, Sony85/1.8.

V

Vivek

Here's another one, now with images, from Brian Smith. Gives it a big thumbs up. However, he does say at the end that if you are looking for High ISO performance, the A7RII is better and for 4K video the A7SII. Still, the AF is said to be really amazing, including eye-AF which is 30% faster than previous Sony cameras. The EVF refreshes faster than the human eye!

One interesting new feature which for me is absolutely great is that the EVF/Monitor switching is disabled when the LCD is tilted up, i.e. when shooting from waist or even lower. This always used to black out the LCD for me as the sensor looked at my body or camera strap and switched to EVF.

First Look: Sony a9 & FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS Lens

A7 3, hopefully, will come with better ISO performance with lower frame rates.

The LCD tilting turning off the EVF should become a standard feature in all sony cams. :lecture:

Pradeep

Beside the dynamic range, ISO-performance and all other possible quality issues (banding, ...) I'm wondering how this camera works together with the whole lens lineup. I'm more interested about the AF-performance in a closer range for lenses like 28/2, 35/1.4, 55/1.8, 85/1.4GM, 90/2.8G Macro. Or if it they do not work fast enough, is it possible with the newer lenses like the 24-70GM, Sony85/1.8.
Smith does talk a little about using it with the 70-200 and 100-400GM lenses, there is a picture with eye AF enabled at 400mm, closest focusing distance of 3.2 ft which is amazing for a long lens.

So far, on my A7RII, the 24-70GM has turned out to be sharper than any other lens I've used including my 25 Batis. Confess haven't used the eye AF or action AF with it, since I mainly use it for landscapes and such.

We are sure to see more reports coming out soon, this camera is generating a lot of buzz, almost as much as the original A7R itself.

Pradeep

A7 3, hopefully, will come with better ISO performance with lower frame rates.

The LCD tilting turning off the EVF should become a standard feature in all sony cams. :lecture:
Absolutely, one of the most annoying things with the system. Got to a point where I had to assign a custom button to disable EVF every time I wanted to shoot with the LCD and keep it on 'Monitor'.

iiiNelson

Absolutely, one of the most annoying things with the system. Got to a point where I had to assign a custom button to disable EVF every time I wanted to shoot with the LCD and keep it on 'Monitor'.
Im hoping this comes as a firmware update to all Sony bodies with a built in EVF because it would be really helpful.

V

Vivek

Im hoping this comes as a firmware update to all Sony bodies with a built in EVF because it would be really helpful.
I am afraid it needs a hard ware (orientation sensor in the LCd panel) to do that.

V

Vivek

I assigned a button but had to get rid of it since i keep forgetting what that button was for!

Pradeep

Folks, I have put my money where my mouth is. Ordered the A9 last week. Sold my 1DX MkII yesterday. Now I am committed. Will see how this plays out. There will be a learning curve and lots of labor pains in this journey, but nothing is perfect in this world, just need to learn to live with it.

Will keep you all posted:)

V

Vivek

Awesome, Pradeep! Looking forward to your hands on!

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Folks, I have put my money where my mouth is. Ordered the A9 last week. Sold my 1DX MkII yesterday. Now I am committed. Will see how this plays out. There will be a learning curve and lots of labor pains in this journey, but nothing is perfect in this world, just need to learn to live with it.

Congrats. Be interested to hear how it compares to your Canon gear.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Congratulations! You are a brave man!

I still am hesitating but I am very tempted by that A9. Ticks most of the boxes of my wish list together with the latest FE mound glass!

Interested to hear your feedback!