The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony's new camera A9

iiiNelson

Thanks Tre. That was a perfect opportunity for Sony to promote their new gear, weather and all.
Now, when will my A9 arrive? :facesmack: :grin:
Agreed. We relocated to Kentucky a couple of months ago and it's been weather wise nasty off and on over the last couple of weeks. It's good to see that the camera succeeded.

I want to test out the color fidelity with the mechanical shutter since that will likely be how it's most used if I were to purchase one. The camera performs well with the electronic shutter for sure (I'm sure it's great for natural light situations) but I often shoot with flash or without the "machine gun" shutter necessity.

k-hawinkler

Agreed. We relocated to Kentucky a couple of months ago and it's been weather wise nasty off and on over the last couple of weeks. It's good to see that the camera succeeded.

I want to test out the color fidelity with the mechanical shutter since that will likely be how it's most used if I were to purchase one. The camera performs well with the electronic shutter for sure (I'm sure it's great for natural light situations) but I often shoot with flash or without the "machine gun" shutter necessity.
Thanks Tre, good luck with your efforts.

I am pretty hopeful that the A9 will deliver the goods for wild life and birding in general. Hummingbirds will be a tough task though for the silent shutter. One can always fall back onto its mechanical shutter or simply discard faulty looking images. Silence is particularly useful though I find when taking pictures.

Indoor shots in poor lighting will be another challenge. In some of the early images displayed on the web one could see extra lighting helping out, lighting that normally is not available for regular sports events.

iiiNelson

Thanks Tre, good luck with your efforts.

I am pretty hopeful that the A9 will deliver the goods for wild life and birding in general. Hummingbirds will be a tough task though for the silent shutter. One can always fall back onto its mechanical shutter or simply discard faulty looking images. Silence is particularly useful though I find when taking pictures.

Indoor shots in poor lighting will be another challenge. In some of the early images displayed on the web one could see extra lighting helping out, lighting that normally is not available for regular sports events.
Yeah I agree. I would've loved to have this camera with the 70-200GM and 100-400GM when I went on a Safari 3 years ago. That being said the A7 and A7R plus adapted telephoto lenses didn't do bad at all.

Pradeep

Wow, that Derby shoot is mighty impressive! Thanks Tre.

It means that the new camera is in production and available, although perhaps only to well-connected people.

I looked at the images taken with the 2X convertor, again, very sharp although it is impossible to judge based on web size and resolution, but it is very encouraging. The new 100-400 lens seems to be a good fit for the camera. If at 800mm (with 2X) at 20fps it is able to deliver sharp images and the focus is that good, it will certainly be a very interesting camera for wildlife.

Can't wait to get my hands on one now. :)

Sorry, can't seem to find it now but there has been a couple of mentions of the Sony A9 operating in 12-bit mode when using the electronic shutter?

Is this correct? Has it been confirmed that this is the case?

Thanks in advance!

V

Vivek

Post #175. Unless proven otherwise by Sony, yes, it is only 12 bit output.

Sorry, can't seem to find it now but there has been a couple of mentions of the Sony A9 operating in 12-bit mode when using the electronic shutter?

Is this correct? Has it been confirmed that this is the case?

Thanks in advance!

Pradeep

Post #175. Unless proven otherwise by Sony, yes, it is only 12 bit output.
Hmmmmm........

I guess there is always a trade-off. However, for my needs it is good enough. I can see how for some professionals who need to squeeze the max out of the RAW images it would be an issue (just like with Sony's compressed RAW was) but I don't think it would matter too much in the end. I know plenty of wildlife photographers who still shoot only jpgs and have won many awards for their work. It is the image that really counts in the end.

FWIW, David Yarrow shoots with a Nikon system and still manages to make huge prints from his D810 images. Even with RAW, at 36MP he manages to print them at massive sizes. His Mankind-2 at 39"X103" is being offered at $26,000.

iiiNelson

Hmmmmm........

I guess there is always a trade-off. However, for my needs it is good enough. I can see how for some professionals who need to squeeze the max out of the RAW images it would be an issue (just like with Sony's compressed RAW was) but I don't think it would matter too much in the end. I know plenty of wildlife photographers who still shoot only jpgs and have won many awards for their work. It is the image that really counts in the end.

FWIW, David Yarrow shoots with a Nikon system and still manages to make huge prints from his D810 images. Even with RAW, at 36MP he manages to print them at massive sizes. His Mankind-2 at 39"X103" is being offered at $26,000.
True and one can always shoot with the mechanical shutter and get the full 14-bit files. Options are good and I suspect that the non-electronic shutter files will have more color fidelity... OR at least I hope so.

V

Vivek

Pradeep, it is a limitation of the the A9. What you quote about David Yarrow calls for an A7rII rather than the A9, i think.

Pradeep

Pradeep, it is a limitation of the the A9. What you quote about David Yarrow calls for an A7rII rather than the A9, i think.
Agreed. What I was referring to is the ability to create a magical image and print it at humungous sizes with limitations of equipment. People talk about MF and super-clean sensors, high bit RAW etc. The final determinant IMHO is what is on the image.

Of course it does help to have good gear to begin with. And for that reason, I always take my A7RII on any trip, the ability to have high resolution files that one can crop into for composition is very useful.

BTW, does anybody know how to remotely trigger the A7 series (or the A9) without using a cable or the iPhone app, i.e. like a radio trigger that is available for Canon and goes on the flash hot shoe? Wonder how Nick Didlick did it for the Derby shoot. He seems to suggest they were all 'wired in series' there is no way you can have a USB connection longer than 25 ft, does not work.

iiiNelson

Agreed. What I was referring to is the ability to create a magical image and print it at humungous sizes with limitations of equipment. People talk about MF and super-clean sensors, high bit RAW etc. The final determinant IMHO is what is on the image.

Of course it does help to have good gear to begin with. And for that reason, I always take my A7RII on any trip, the ability to have high resolution files that one can crop into for composition is very useful.

BTW, does anybody know how to remotely trigger the A7 series (or the A9) without using a cable or the iPhone app, i.e. like a radio trigger that is available for Canon and goes on the flash hot shoe? Wonder how Nick Didlick did it for the Derby shoot. He seems to suggest they were all 'wired in series' there is no way you can have a USB connection longer than 25 ft, does not work.
with the A7 you can trigger with the Sony IR remote. I'm not sure of the A9 derby setup.

Pradeep

with the A7 you can trigger with the Sony IR remote. I'm not sure of the A9 derby setup.
Tre, the IR remote requires you to be in front of the camera and it only works within a short distance. There is a remote trigger for Canon that works at over 200ft.

What I am trying to accomplish is low level shots from a vehicle where I tie the camera to a tripod upside down, lower it to just above the ground and trigger the shutter with a remote. I am going to post this as a separate thread on the main Sony forum.

k-hawinkler

Here is an interesting review (in Dutch but some of the pic tests are obvious):

https://www.cameraland.nl/blog/review-sony-a9-the-beast/213#.WRdbNMkaSEJ

I am intrigued by the battery claims of even up to 8000 snaps per charge while Sony's own numbers are very modest.

K-H, It appears that there will be distortions from the silent shutter (air plane propeller shots in the review)though they appear to be much less.
Many thanks Vivek. Not too bad, not too bad at all. :grin: :salute:

Sharif Abdou

Tre, the IR remote requires you to be in front of the camera and it only works within a short distance. There is a remote trigger for Canon that works at over 200ft.

What I am trying to accomplish is low level shots from a vehicle where I tie the camera to a tripod upside down, lower it to just above the ground and trigger the shutter with a remote. I am going to post this as a separate thread on the main Sony forum.
Hello Pradeep, this may be what you're looking for:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Shu...el+fsk+2.4ghz+wireless+shutter+remote+release

I don't have it yet, so I can't attest to how well it works, but I just ordered one through Amazon, should be here in a few days. It's essentially a 2-piece intervalometer that works wirelessly; one part sits in the hot shoe and plugs into the USB port like a typical intervalometer; the second part is a wireless remote that controls the camera. Stated range is 80 meters, and it's omnidirectional. Hope this helps.

Sharif

Pradeep

[h=1]Meike MK-A7II Pro Vertical Battery Grip for Sony Alpha a7II with Wireless Remote Controller[/h]https://www.amazon.com/Meike-MK-A7II-Vertical-Wireless-Controller/dp/B00VTFXZQG
Thanks K-H. This is intriguing, but would probably not work with the new A-9 as the battery grips have to be different owing to the different battery size. I am also a bit wary of grips in general because they do not do well with tripods and large lenses (my Canon 7D2 is useless in this regard - too much play). However, Meike does seem to make a separate remote control which plugs into the side of the camera. May try that and see.

Hello Pradeep, this may be what you're looking for:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Shu...el+fsk+2.4ghz+wireless+shutter+remote+release

I don't have it yet, so I can't attest to how well it works, but I just ordered one through Amazon, should be here in a few days. It's essentially a 2-piece intervalometer that works wirelessly; one part sits in the hot shoe and plugs into the USB port like a typical intervalometer; the second part is a wireless remote that controls the camera. Stated range is 80 meters, and it's omnidirectional. Hope this helps.

Sharif
Thanks Sharif. This is exactly what I am looking for. The reviews of the intervalometer are mixed but in any case I do not need that functionality. I just ordered one, I am a bit pressed for time as the trip to Africa is coming up in a few weeks so would like to have this sorted out before then.

I need a lightweight set up with remote capability without wires and without having to 'pair' my iPhone with the camera - too many parts to jiggle around in the field. I am going to post some pictures of the set up I am trying to build - maybe later today.

Pradeep

I just looked at the photos of Nick Didlick on the Derby shoot. He has all six of his cameras connected to Power Wizard PTMM cables. So there must be an option just as with Canon to use the PW transceivers with the A9 - and therefore possibly for the A7RII as well. He has another cable that connects to the PTMM and ends with a USB connector and if you look carefully all his cameras have the side flap open with the USB connections showing.

Hmmm...... never knew this could work but it does open up a whole new set of possibilities.