The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony's new camera A9

iiiNelson

:loco: :grin: :ROTFL:
Thats sort of the vibe I get from many reviews which is a little disturbing considering that these are professional reviewers that don't seem to review based upon the strengths along with baseline comparisons... when it comes to certain brands.

Pradeep

Tre, I suspect if you presented them with gold dust with diamonds in it, they would still complain - 'diamonds are not large enough'. They have to find some cons else how can they justify having a review?

Ever looked at product reviews by users on Amazon? Even a simple tool that works flawlessly the way it is supposed to will have a few 1-star ratings - some people will always complain! A movie that is loved by everyone and has been a perennial favorite will also have many who will pan it.

For ordinary folk like me, the issue is - does this do the job for me and do I like it? If so, the hell with professional reviews :banghead:

iiiNelson

Tre, I suspect if you presented them with gold dust with diamonds in it, they would still complain - 'diamonds are not large enough'. They have to find some cons else how can they justify having a review?

Ever looked at product reviews by users on Amazon? Even a simple tool that works flawlessly the way it is supposed to will have a few 1-star ratings - some people will always complain! A movie that is loved by everyone and has been a perennial favorite will also have many who will pan it.

For ordinary folk like me, the issue is - does this do the job for me and do I like it? If so, the hell with professional reviews :banghead:
I agree and user reviews are mostly next to useless unless viewed as a combined review. I would like to think that a large professional site though would have people experienced enough to just make any camera work with the caveat that I k ow we all have preferences in workflow... hence the preference for one camera design over another. In any case I though that was interesting to see and I actually chuckle at quite a few reviewers that apparently have only tried a Sony mirrorless in their hands with the A9. Many are touting Eye AF as a new revolutionary feature unique to the A9 but owners know that the A7II series and A6xxx series enjoyed this feature for a few years now.

iiiNelson

I saw quite a few A9's (to go along with the occasional A7RII seen in the past) over the last few months in the White House... I guess pros are accepting Sony FE now as a legitimate option.

Pradeep

Finally got to post some more from my trip to Namibia. These are from the bird shoot we did in Walvis Bay. It was overcast and raining at times, in the open water with the boat bouncing and all of us jostling for position in the small space, the birds flying helter-skelter, diving for the fish thrown at them, it was a visual and sensory feast in so many ways. I squeezed myself into a corner in the stern and shot what I could. Amazing results with the A9 and the 70-200GM, set to center spot AF. There were many, many keepers with the birds being sharp. The only problem was getting a good composition due to all the bumping and bouncing and the frantic bird activity. At one time there were over 30 pelicans and an equal number of gulls flying all around us.

These are in order of my own preference, the best is the last one, IMHO. All taken with pretty much the same settings. The only processing I have done is correcting the exposure, adding contrast and slight sharpening. Some are cropped for composition, but there is NO cloning or such tricks.

I doubt I could have gotten these with my Canon rig (1DX2 and the 70-200 2.8) and it would weigh more. Overall very pleased.

Thanks for looking. The full size is not visible here even though I have linked to a 4000px image.