The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony's new camera A9

V

Vivek

Just being announced! EXMOR RS (Stacked CMOS) 24MP!!

Together with a 100-400 G zoom.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nice! Now, if they can make a camera with that body and battery but lower specifications for those of us with skinnier bank accounts...

V

Vivek

Just watching the livestream on a Samsung TV.:grin:

EXMOR RS sensor- advanced back illuminated sensor with total electronic shutter (no distortions, etc).

This is realizing the full potential of a mirrorless camera!:thumbs:

iiiNelson

Looks good but I'm awaiting full and final specs to make further thoughts. Looks like a legitimate advancement for a sports/photojournalist camera. I was expecting a 16-35/2.8 GM as well but I guess we have to wait on that one.

Last edited:
Looks pretty nice but a lot of it is going to come down to the quality of the EVF, and even more to actual AF performance. Prosumer Nikons still beat pro Sonys. I'd love to see that change.

V

Vivek

All specs are just out of this world!

One (luckily optional) major downer is the ability turn on the simulated shutter sound noise! :facesmack:

Sony have to identify themselves with their cybershots, i guess.

iiiNelson

All specs are just out of this world!

One (luckily optional) major downer is the ability turn on the simulated shutter sound noise! :facesmack:

Sony have to identify themselves with their cybershots, i guess.
Probably more of an effect of what's legal in countries than anything. Street photography, having cameras that don't make shutter sounds, and taking pictures of people/infrastructure without permission is forbidden in many countries.

iiiNelson

Nice! Now, if they can make a camera with that body and battery but lower specifications for those of us with skinnier bank accounts...
Well there's always that possibility in the A7 generation III or the next A6xxx/A7xxx models... I wouldn't hold my breath for that though. I think they're enjoy a bit of this being the flagship for some time while they introduce the A9R and A9S (which I hope has at least 16 megapixels).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This camera together with the new 100-400 makes the dream wildlife combo for me - at least on paper!

Now I need to test this combo and see if I can get back into FF (this time with E-mount) for a reasonable upgrade price.

I am really tempted, I hope that the upcoming reviews also hold up to the illusion.

f8orbust

I'm not sure whether or not this is a global shutter in the strictest sense of the term, but from what I've read the read out speed seems to be so high that - for 99% of all intents and purposes - it will act like one. Whatever, it's impressive; if this is the sort of tech that will make it's way into the next generation of MF sensors we really can say goodbye to copal shutters !

iiiNelson

I'm not sure whether or not this is a global shutter in the strictest sense of the term, but from what I've read the read out speed seems to be so high that - for 99% of all intents and purposes - it will act like one. Whatever, it's impressive; if this is the sort of tech that will make it's way into the next generation of MF sensors we really can say goodbye to copal shutters !
There's still a mechanical shutter I believe in this camera as well going by the menu options to select AUTO/MECH/ELEC Shutter types.

https://youtu.be/hbMBgpktaJs

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Now to the two elephants in the room: price and lenses.

With the specs of the a9, I must assume that one of the target groups for this camera is sports photographers. Since I have some experience from that field (mostly motor sports), I asked myself: Would I buy this for sports photography?

From a functional viewpoint, if the camera really is as good as Sony claims, yes, it would be a strong candidate.

From a price point of view it looks more tricky. I would need two bodies costing $9,000. That's slightly more than a D5/D500 combo, but the Nikon combo gives me the advantage of two sensor sizes with different reach. Also, in spite of the improved battery for the Sony, the Nikons would give me vastly longer battery life. The D5 battery would give me 3-5,000 shots and can be used with both cameras.

Compared to the two other mirrorless alternatives, the E-M1 and the X-T2, there's no price competition whatsoever. They are both less than half the price, and the Fuji is even a very decent low light camera. The Sony is probably or hopefully the better camera, but I have to say that 20fps and 1/32000s are just paper values to me. For motor sports, I rarely use fast shutter speeds, and I have have yet to see the action that can't be captured at 8-10fps. Others may have different needs though, like those shooting gymnastics. The viewfinder would be the critical advantage to look for. I do btw. see the shallow grip of the Fuji as a disadvantage. I don't see myself shooting with it continuously for 8-10 hours, but I may be wrong. The Sony grip seems nice.

Then there's lenses. While I'm sure the new 100-400mm is a nice lens, it is what it is, a 100-400mm lens. For motor sports on international arenas, that's not nearly long enough, and I suspect the situation will be the same for many other kinds of sports.

Nikon of course, and Canon, produce more telephoto lens varieties than anybody will ever need. Although many of those lenses are expensive, even the excellent and very cheap Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6 will give 500mm of reach on a D5 and 750mm on a D500. Want to go lightweight? With the excellent, little 300mm f/4, a lens that works very well with a 1.4x TC, even the D5 weighs in at the same as an A9 with 100-400mm.

With the Sony, one can of course use Canon lenses with a third party adapter, but I would like to meet a sports photographer who volunteers to work with that kind of solutions in critical, fast paced situations at a sports event. Missing one shot may destroy the day, and from what I've read about the "smart" adapters, they're not anywhere near 100% reliability.

As for the two other mirrorless cameras, reach is no problem, low light photography sometimes is, particularly with the Olympus. Olympus does however have the 300mm f/4 with dual stabilisation. That's 600mm ultrasharp reach in a small package and very hard to beat, and it takes away all or most of Sony's full frame advantage. Both Fuji and Olympus offer 100-400mm lenses with 600 and 800mm reach respectively, and particularly the Fuji is a very fine lens.

Conclusion: While the A9 may work very well for sports photography and in some cases even better than a D5, it's useless for some kinds of sports until Sony comes up with at least one lens with longer reach. I assume that the 300mm f/2.8 in A-mount will work fine on this camera, and in combination with the 70-200mm f/2.8 indoor sports should be well covered. It's important to be aware though, that when we start talking about lenses that weigh more than 2 kilograms, the weight and size of the camera body becomes a rather academic question. No advantage for Sony there. My racing setup used to be 7-10 kilograms, and a 500 gram lighter body wouldn't have mattered much. It's with functionality and a great viewfinder Sony has to win this... and lenses. Sony needs to make more lenses.