The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lightest, versatile ballhead?

V

Vivek

Suggestions for a light weight and versatile ballhead to go with a light weight carbon monopod would be appreciated. Add links if available.

Thanks in advance!

iiiNelson

Suggestions for a light weight and versatile ballhead to go with a light weight carbon monopod would be appreciated. Add links if available.

Thanks in advance!
I'm not exactly sure what the lightest head is since I really haven't looked at another tripod in about 3 years but I use a 3 Legged Thing plus Airhead 1 combo for travel.

Arca Swiss, FLM, RRS, Kirk, Novoflex, and Feisol make lightweight yet durable ball heads as well that may fit your needs.

Godfrey

Thanks in advance!
If you're looking for a full-size ballhead, the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead is hard to beat on light weight, compactness, and versatility. The Markins Emilié Q3 is in the same range.

The Really Right Stuff BH25 and BH30 are very good heads in a smaller size category. RRS also has several monopod specific heads, basically allowing vertical adjustment without side to side twist/tilt. These are often better for monopod use with heavy, long lenses, so it depends on what your specific use and intent might be.

G

ggibson

I've been looking at getting a new Sirui tripod recently and read lots of good things about the quality of their products. The C-10S ballhead is even smaller than the G series (consider even picking up a Sirui T-005X tripod which comes with this head for only about $20 more than the head alone!).

Also, I've seen recommendations for the SunwayFoto FB-28i--it's even a bit smaller than the Sirui.

If you're willing to spend a bit more and go a bit bigger, the Arca-Swiss Monoball P0 is supposedly much easier to adjust and tighten.

jdphoto

Gitzo Traveler series are the finest I have ever used. Get the quick release with center ball and add a carbon fiber tripod for the lightest, toughest tripod/head anywhere. I've used mine with cameras as heavy as a Hasselblad H4D/40 to the Fuji Xpro1. It has a hook to add a weight in the center and can be carried all day on a backpack.

http://www.gitzo.us/heads-traveler-center-ball

V

Vivek

Thanks all for the suggestions so far! I am as confused as ever before with so many varying possibilities!

Maximum 4 kg weight and i would like head to be as lightest possible. Preferrably ~150gms.

Paul, My carbon monopod weighs 300gms.

ggibson

In that case, would you be fine with just a simple 90 degree tilt head like the Oben BD-0?

Also, I have an interesting little ball head that came with my monopod/tripod hybrid called the Trek-Tech Magmount Pro ballhead. It has a small magnetic plate that screws into the tripod mount and attaches to the ball head (with additional security clip). It's nice because you can take the camera off the monopod without having to unscrew it. Don't know if you can find it these days anymore, but maybe there's something else like it out there.

seb

my travel combo is:

86c7e2d16db341d3af56c07152d19241.jpg

Arca Swiss P0 + Feisol CT-3442 (+center pole)
It's a very light, compact, stable and accurate combination. If you don't like the flip lock system, there are other versions. The ball head can be leveled for panoramas and tilted for portrait mode.

Edit: both together with the additional center pole brings your camera up to 177cm and all together weights 1.81kg and is 48cm long (folded). Without the center pole it's 1.55kg with 141cm height. The folded size stays the same.

mediumcool

Cheapy?

I bought this Mamiya-branded head from eBAY. The seller was good to deal with—it’s even cheaper than when I bought mine in early 2014! I think it’s actually a 702; very light.

V

Vivek

Thanks all, again for your kind information!

Graham, Thanks a bunch for pointing to the Sirui! It appears that a Sirui T-025X (carbon) with a C-10S (880gms total, 34cm folded with the head) would suit me.

FWIW, I have several tripods from the past, including a Sachtler with a 100mm bowl and suitable heads. All too heavy and not fit for my current miniature back pack that carries my compact Sony gear.

Godfrey

Thanks all, again for your kind information!

Graham, Thanks a bunch for pointing to the Sirui! It appears that a Sirui T-025X (carbon) with a C-10S (880gms total, 34cm folded with the head) would suit me.

FWIW, I have several tripods from the past, including a Sachtler with a 100mm bowl and suitable heads. All too heavy and not fit for my current miniature back pack that carries my compact Sony gear.
I'd completely forgotten about the Sirui T-025X. I have that combination exactly. It's a very small kit and quite versatile, pretty sturdy for its size and weight. It fits in the zipped-closed water bottle pocket in my larger cycling backpack ... you barely even notice it's there.

G

V

Vivek

Very small foot print, indeed! :)

The Carbon version's center column can be extended and the total height can be higher than the aluminum version. I like the the configuration without the center column to get the tripod close to the ground (~10cm height and quite stable).

The ridiculous looking digilux tablepod (very similar in price to the Sirui +ball head!) weighs only 80gms and actually works with my RX1R II.

ggibson

Glad you found one that seems to suit! The Sirui T-025X is so appealing for being pretty much the smallest and lightest combo around, although I worry a bit about the max height since I'm 6'1" (even my current Benro can feel a bit short). I'm still undecided, and since I'm going to be in NYC next week, I'll check out a few in person at B&H to make my choice.

V

Vivek

Maximum height of the T-025X is really not useful. Though the maximum extendable height is about 147cm with the head, to me, at about 110cm it is reasonably stable. It would take me a while to get used to it. It feels very delicate. I suppose, that is a price one pays for the size and weight compromise.

Mine (here) comes with a 6 year warranty!

Don Libby

My new favorite bullhead is the Arca Swiss P0; small, lightweight, easy to use yet will handle my heavy Phase XF as well as the lighter weight Sony A7rII or Fuji GFX 50S. Great all around head. You might also want to look at the new P0 hybrid.

Don