The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon to Sony E mount issue

wbhstl

Gentlemen,

I purchased a Zeiss 135/2 APO-Sonnar with a Metabones Nikon F to E-mount T II adapter to use on my Sony A6000. Metabones claims (on there web site) a precise fit free from play or wiggle. The Sony side of the adapter fits the Camera fine. But the lens (Nikon side) of the adapter has considerable play, wiggle, and rattle.

I am sure many of you have used Zeiss ZF.2 mount lenses of Sony cameras. Have any of you experienced similar issues? Is what I described with my Metabones normal? Could someone recommend other makes of adapters with a more precise fit than my Metabones?

Bill

iiiNelson

Gentlemen,

I purchased a Zeiss 135/2 APO-Sonnar with a Metabones Nikon F to E-mount T II adapter to use on my Sony A6000. Metabones claims (on there web site) a precise fit free from play or wiggle. The Sony side of the adapter fits the Camera fine. But the lens (Nikon side) of the adapter has considerable play, wiggle, and rattle.

I am sure many of you have used Zeiss ZF.2 mount lenses of Sony cameras. Have any of you experienced similar issues? Is what I described with my Metabones normal? Could someone recommend other makes of adapters with a more precise fit than my Metabones?

Bill
ive only owned Voigtlander and Novoflex adapters and none for Nikon F mount. I had great results with both when using Contax Yashica and Leica.

wbhstl

iiiNelson, Thank you for your reply. Yes I have used other brand adapters for other brand lenses as well and not had any issues. That is why I was surprised by this particular combination. I see many pictures on the net taken with Sony E mount cameras, including the A6000, and Zeiss ZF.2 lenses, including the 135/2 Sonnar, so some people must have found a satisfactory adapter - was just hoping I could find someone that could clue me in.

Vivek, Thank you for your reply. By the way I really enjoy some of your candid street shots - you have a knack. I am not sure what you mean by "Return it". Return what? The adapter, the lens or both. I don't want to return the lens, I want to use it. On my A6000 for now and eventually on a Sony A7xxx. If I return the adapter, unless I replace it, I can't use the lens - well, unless I buy a Nikon camera.

V

Vivek

Bill, i meant the adapter, naturally!

Thanks for your kind words! :)

Barry Haines

Gentlemen,

Bill
Hi Bill, I have used a lot of different adapters and tried many others with my Sony FF and APS-C cameras over the years.
Like others here and yourself I have also had issues with many of them :( It's a costly learning experience sorting the wheat from the chaff!
I now avoid the cheaper ones at all costs, as I believe you only get what you pay for.

Re: Nikon ZF.2 / F lens mount to Sony E mount cameras...I now only have 2 adapters left...

The Kipon (Which is a great fit but needs to be flocked internally to prevent internal reflections bouncing about within).
The Novoflex is expensive but works perfectly and is what I would recommend.

I also used Ron Pfisters Voigtlander NEX/NIK adapter on a heavyish Zeiss 100mm Apo Macro, which worked without any problems but they are hard to find nowadays.
I also had a cheap K&F Concept and it was complete junk as far as I was concerned...It didn't go to infinity and as shiny as hell inside.

You have a heavyweight expensive quality Zeiss lens that I think I would only trust on a sturdy well engineered Novoflex adapter...just my 2 pence worth.

I hope that helps Cheers Barry

KenLee

...The Kipon (Which is a great fit but needs to be flocked internally to prevent internal reflections bouncing about within)....
What do you use for flocking ?

I have a set of macro tubes which work nicely but suffer from pronounced flare. Alternately, does anyone make a good set of macro tubes ? I see some which provide some level of electronic coupling, but that isn't a requirement for me.

Thanks !

Barry Haines

What do you use for flocking ?

I have a set of macro tubes which work nicely but suffer from pronounced flare. Alternately, does anyone make a good set of macro tubes ? I see some which provide some level of electronic coupling, but that isn't a requirement for me.

Thanks !
Hi Ken, I now only have just the one Nikon F mount lens which is permanently attached to my Novoflex adapter, so I probably won't bother flocking the Kipon adapter now.

Here are a few links that maybe of help if you want to flock your macro tubes...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1312588

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1458934

cerett

I am using a Vello Nikon F to Sony E-Mount Auto Lens Adapter (Version 4) on my A7rII for my two Zeiss lenses (15 and 21mm) and the Nikon 14-24. It works as advertised for my photography (landscape).

thrice

I have the kipon tilt/shift Nikon F -> Sony FE adapter.

+1 on the need for flocking! I use a sheet of black felt and cut it to sized pieces.