The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Please recommended an affordable light tripod for travel

KenLee

I will traveling and would like to find an affordable tripod (for my Sony A7RII) which is light-weight, folds up small enough to go into a backpack, extends to normal height and has a decent head.

Can anyone recommend one ? Many thanks.

tcdeveau

+1 for Really Right Stuff, it's a little expensive but my TVC-33 has held up wonderfully over the years. The TVC-33 is a little big for travel and won't fold up and fit in a backpack, I'm looking at a TFC-14 myself (http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TFC-14-Series-1-tripod). It's folded length (~17 inches) is 6" shorter than the TVC-23 recommended above and would be fine for the A7RII.

ggibson

I've been looking at this too recently, so I'll share my shortlist. I currently use a Benro carbon fiber tripod, which is excellent quality, but only folds to about 21" long, which doesn't fit well in a suitcase or a backpack. This tripod came out just before most travel tripods started having the legs folded back over the center post, which shaves off a couple of inches from the folded length. Benro doesn't seem to make travel angels that do this, unfortunately, so I've been looking at other brands.

Gitzo released an updated travel tripod lineup last year. The GT1555T and the GT1545T are ones I'm really looking, since they are incredibly small and light. The GT1555T is a 5-section design and folds down to only 14". The GT1545 is a bit taller and a 4-section design, folding down to 16.7". Both are about 3lbs with a smaller ballhead. Check out the specs on Gitzo's website for with/without ballhead heights, but I think both are reasonably high enough (I'm 6'1").

Sirui is the value brand that I would look at. I heard they were started by a previous supplier of Gitzo, and from playing with their ballheads and tripods in a store, I think the quality is very, very good. Ones I'm considering are the T-025X (5 section), the T-024X (4 section), the T-2205X (5 section), and T-1205X (5 section). They all have slightly differing measurements and designs, so I think it's probably helpful to check them out in the store if you can or read up online.

mjm6

I did this evaluation a while ago, and found that I liked this Feisol tripod:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/848831-REG/FEISOL_CT_3442_Tournament_CT_3442_Rapid_Tripod.html

The main reason I chose this one is that it is short enough to fit in a normal carry-on bag. Most of the others are not. Price-wise, it is pretty good, as well.

I would prefer a larger, more stable tripod in truth, but I do have an older Gitzo that is considerably more substantial, so I decided that going pretty small for the travel 'pod made sense to me. If you are 6' tall or something like that, you may find this one a little too short, but it works fine for me.

---Michael