The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7*2 Resolution Drop with >3.2s Exposure

V

Vivek

How did you do that? I thought rolling back would brick a camera?

thrice

Despite rolling back the firmware I can confirm spatial filtering still occurs at 4.0s.
Probably a microcode block that the 3.20 firmware didn't write whereas the 3.30 firmware does.

Back to waiting for Sony.

tcdeveau

Dan, The new FW, 4.0, has it fixed the "star eater" issue?
According to sonyalpharumors.com the new firmware is supposed to fix the issue, or at least improve image quality with LENR off. I'll try to update this weekend and take it out for a spin.
-Todd

thrice

Ok so I have already tried FW4.00 and no good in my opinion.

I'm off to Tasmania on Monday so I will shoot some test pics with plenty of fine details but I know I'll be trying to keep it below 3.2s for the majority and slightly defocusing my stars to try and avoid them being gobbled.

FW4.00.jpg
200%
FW4.00.JPG

Rawdigger lenscap tests (this gif is not playing for me on getdpi, here's a link)
Rawdigger.jpg

V

Vivek

Sony could easily do this: when someone tries to set the exposure time above 3.2s, a warning flashes

YOU ARE ACTIVATING THE STAR EATER PROTOCOL!

SHOOT AT YOUR OWN PERIL!

MAKE. BELIEVE?

astrobuoy

Please sign the petition to get Sony to fix this http://www.change.org/p/sony-remove-the-star-eater-on-sony-a7s-r-mk-i-ii-and-a9-cameras

When I owned the Sony A7rii, I upgraded the firmware to mitigate the ODS delay when using the Elinchrom ELB 400/HS head. I decided to sell it when the talk of of a new model with two SD cards was rumored. I wanted a jump on the flood of second hand Sony's before the price drop, so didn't experience long exposure issues as I hadn't used it in that regard yet. The loss of micro contrast in anything longer then 3.2 seconds is absurd. The A9 however, has not piqued my interest and the launch price confirmed that. So for now i'll wait on Sony. This is something Sony needs to fix. I like long exposure photography and won't consider their cameras until this is fixed with firmware. Thanks for the article.

ggibson

In the meantime, you could also try using the Smooth Reflection app to automatically blend shorter exposures into a longer one. I'm not sure if this can be used for astrophotography, since you might be light-limited in those cases. But Smooth Reflection should give cleaner shadows than even one long exposure would and hopefully not apply the noise reduction as shown here for >3.2s exposures. Haven't tested it myself, but it's worth a look.

thrice

In the meantime, you could also try using the Smooth Reflection app to automatically blend shorter exposures into a longer one. I'm not sure if this can be used for astrophotography, since you might be light-limited in those cases. But Smooth Reflection should give cleaner shadows than even one long exposure would and hopefully not apply the noise reduction as shown here for >3.2s exposures. Haven't tested it myself, but it's worth a look.
Unfortunately that isn't how smooth reflection nor stacking works.
You still need a reasonable luminance in all your subs, lots of dark images don't magically make a bright image.

If you want to expose the galactic core for example, you need a long enough exposure for every sub that the brighter gas areas rise appreciably above the noise floor. If you stack a jillion 3.2s subs you will have really low noise but not a lot of SNR to give you the contrast required for a pleasing image.

ggibson

Unfortunately that isn't how smooth reflection nor stacking works.
You still need a reasonable luminance in all your subs, lots of dark images don't magically make a bright image.

If you want to expose the galactic core for example, you need a long enough exposure for every sub that the brighter gas areas rise appreciably above the noise floor. If you stack a jillion 3.2s subs you will have really low noise but not a lot of SNR to give you the contrast required for a pleasing image.
Yeah, that's why I said I didn't think it could be used for astro (or other light-limited cases). I was suggesting it for examples like the forest stream above where one might be shooting with ND filters or stopping down quite a bit and have some flexibility to adjust f-stop+filters to get exposure time under 3.2s.

thrice

Yeah, that's why I said I didn't think it could be used for astro (or other light-limited cases). I was suggesting it for examples like the forest stream above where one might be shooting with ND filters or stopping down quite a bit and have some flexibility to adjust f-stop+filters to get exposure time under 3.2s.
Oh I understand what you're saying now.
No ND used in the above shot.
Shot at a standard working aperture (f/11) with a polariser.