The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New zooms

ggibson

Pretty impressive size and weight on both. I love my 16-35/4, but part of me wonders about replacing it with the 12-24/4 which is barely larger....

kordon

Only on the 12-24mm. The 16-35mm GM looks yummy. :thumbup:

Now what can I sell to finance the purchase (in August)?

Joe
Correct, which is the one I wanted, but I use filters a lot. I suppose someone will make an adaptor for it evenually like for other lenses in the past.

Pradeep

The 16-35 for me definitely. Since my original f4 version was stolen in Italy last year been meaning to replace it. This would be perfect, said to be even sharper than the first. With f2.8 no less, may even work for the minimal astrophotography I do.

The 12-24 is also tempting but I am not familiar with ultra-wide photography. I suppose there is a place for it. The fixed hood and thus problematic filter placement would be one negative to consider.

jerome_m

If these two new lenses are as good as the 24-70 f/2.8, that would change my plans for the wide-angle part of my equipment completely. Available primes in native FE mount are at most one stop faster or have the same aperture so, for me, they would only have the advantage of being more compact.

I am still tempted by the Sigma 20mm f/1.4, but it is huge and needs an adapter. Not so sure about that.

ggibson

Nice--really impressive results for the 12-24mm. I don't know if I really need that lens, since I'm shooting my 16-35mm less these days, but I can still want it :cool: