The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shutter lag of A7RII? Compared to Nikon D810?

I recently saw mentioned that the shutter lag of my A7RII is measured exactly the same as the Nikon D810.

According to "imaging resource" the Sony A7RII measures 0.212 with single spot autofocus and 0.107 with manual focus. The Nikon D810 was measured at 0.212 with single spot autofocus and 0.056 with manual focus.

My A7RII seems to have considerable shutter lag and when compared to the Nikon D810, does not even seem in the same league. To make things worse, I have only been using older manual focus lenses on the A7RII whereas the Nikon D810 I compared it with was using autofocus.

Has anybody else made this comparison? Is it fair to say that the Sony A7RII and Nikon D810 both exhbit the same amount of shutter lag?

Most importantly, is there anything I can do with the A7RII to improve this situation (apart from waiting for its predecessor)?

I think I have seen mentioned that turning the EVF review to "off" is helpful, as well as turning EFCS "on"?

Any other tips or suggestions to try and improve this capability?

Thanks so much in advance!

V

Vivek

1. Image review OFF.
2. EFCS on (only when the speed is faster than ~1/2000s you need it off).

Thanks a lot for that, much appreciated!

I also remember the guy at the camera store saying to turn the "Settings Effects" to off.. Would this have any sort of effect on shutter lag?

Any other suggestions out there?

Thanks in advance!

thrice

That figure was probably based on v1.10 firmware, before Sony started baking all sorts of things into their RAW that slowed down the performance of the preview.
The same slowdown probably also affects shutter lag.