The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon or Nikon to compliment my A7RII?

mandonbossi

So would love to hear some thoughts on an issue I am currently having. Would love to hear any suggestions you guys may have.. :)

I currently have a Sony A7RII with a mishmash of manual focus lenses.. I do like the camera but my main frustration with it is that it only allows you to see in the native 3:2 aspect ratio of the sensor. I still shoot with a 5x4 and 6x7 film camera and both of these have similar looking ratios. I really hate the "skinny" 3:2 format and really wish that the Sony A7RII would offer a 5:4, 6:7 or even a 4:3 ratio.

My workaround for this is having to tape the rear LCD to a 5:4 ratio but this obviously has some major drawbacks and really isn't that feasible.. The main issues are viewing the camera as if it is a cheap point and shoot (as in not having your eye up to it for stability) and having issues with glare in bright conditions. I have even gone to the hassle of attaching a "video" viewer to the rear LCD (similar to a Zacuto or LCDVF) but this basically increases the size of a Sony A7RII to that of a DSLR and the rear LCD is nowhere near the quality of the EVF and causes eye strain much quicker..

The majority of what I am interested in is slower tripod based work and for this I can get away with taping off the rear to a 5:4 format and then using the EVF for fine focusing, exposure etc etc.

I am looking to start doing more work that requires a handheld approach and I can not think of a way to do this successfully with the A7RII and keep a similar 5:4 format. I would really love to just keep one system but this is a real drawback for me. As a result, I am looking to get a second camera that would enable me to present my images in this 5:4 ratio.

So my current options are;

* Get a Nikon D810 and use the 5:4 aspect ratio that camera has. This places a semi transparent mask in the OVF, cropping off the sides.. Tried it for a short while the other day and really liked it.

* Get a Canon 5DIII and have my local repair store place a 5:4 crop with some tape on the focusing screen. Not as ideal as the Nikon but would be a more successful second camera to the Sony with the ability to share lenses with autofocus.

So advantages for the Nikon D810 would be that it shares a somewhat similar Sony sensor and therefore I could expect similar results with regards to exposure, post processing etc etc. File sizes are similar as well. The 5:4 aspect ratio is a feature of the camera and works well and I would not have to mess about with getting a technician to place a "mask" on the focusing screen.
The downsides are that there is currently no reliable autofocus adapter for Nikon lenses to work with the Sony.

Advantages for the Canon is that you can get good, reliable autofocus results with Canon glass on the Sony via either the Metabones or the Sigma MC-11. This could be very useful in shooting an event/wedding or something similar.
Downsides are that the sensor is not nearly as good as either the A7RII/D810 and I would need to mess about getting a mask placed on the focus screen.

So what do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Before I get the inevitable barrage of "just crop in post" comments, please do not bother. There IS a difference (to me at least) between viewing something in its intended output format (either in the OVF or EVF) and just cropping later. I have tried this on the A7RII. If you set it to the grid with the most lines, a 5:4 ratio would cut off exactly halfway between the last line and the edge of the screen. So you can have a guess at it but this is not even close in comparison to the D810 (masking off the OVF) or more recently, the Fuji GFX, which completely masks off the EVF to a number of desired aspect ratios.

Am not sure why Sony has not implemented this in their cameras, it would make a big difference to the shooting experience in my personal opinion.

Thanks in advance, any help or suggestions (or maybe something I am missing) would be really appreciated!

KenLee

I place blue painters tape on the rear of my camera. You're right: it's a shabby solution. If you're concerned about eye strain, get some affordable reading glasses: a lot cheaper and easier than getting another camera.

Aesthetics aside (I also dislike 2x3), an advantage of this sort of cropping is that we worry less the about edge performance of ho-hum lenses, of which there are many.

Even though I like 4x5 best, I shoot other ratios and think it's very helpful when aspect ratio is an easily configurable option. I have asked Sony for a firmware update to support the 4x5 ratio. (I sent them a photo of my camera with the tape applied, hoping it would further persuade their engineers). Perhaps if many others make the same request, it will become a higher priority for Sony.

Last edited:

mandonbossi

Yes, valid point regarding lenses with average edge performance, have thought about that before as well.. :)

The worst part about this situation is that Sony does already offer these "aspect ratios" in some of their cameras.

The RX1R2 has a 4:3, 3:2, 1:1 and 16:9 aspect ratios. Even the consumer RX100 has these aspect ratios also available.

All these are shown in the EVF (with black blocking out the unwanted area) but yet the full image file size is captured as a RAW. At least this is the case for the RX1R2, not sure about the RX100.

I do not understand why this feature has been omitted from the A7 and A9 series of cameras!!

Fuji has shown how it should be done with the various aspect ratios with the GFX.

https://diglloyd.com/blog-2017-02.html#20170225_2134-FujifilmGFX-aspectRatios

Wish they would also implement this in their "X series" cameras such as the XT-2. They also only offer a 3:2 aspect ratio :(

mandonbossi

Ken Lee
, are you able to provide an email address to send a message to regarding this issue? I wouldn't even know where to start...

iiiNelson
, I have responded to a request by another user on the "Sony Community" site and have seen it bought up a number of times by other members as well...

http://community.sony.com/t5/Join-t...ony-Alpha-7-series-cameras/idc-p/631666#M2080

Maybe it is not in the right spot?

Vivek
, I have used the Sony RX1R2 with this feature and not noticed any real world difference between that camera and my A7RII..... Give me the option of a 5:4 crop in the EVF any day..

Both mirrorless cameras that I am interested in (Sony A7RII and Fuji XT-2) only offer a 3:2 aspect ratio.. I thought one of the advantages of mirrorless was being able to offer things like this easily...

My phone is able to do it :(