The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pro weather sealing and Sony

jdphoto

I've owned the A7rII and have enjoyed the dynamic range and resolution. However, i'm reluctant to use this camera in inclement weather. I mean, rain showers, squalls and waterfalls. I'm aware that Sony has used language in its advertising to reduce their liability and the camera fairs well in intermittent conditions, but what's the point if your lenses are not weather resistant? The Fuji Xt2 and the WR lenses seem to be much better suited for adverse weather shooting. Fuji even proudly states this in their literature. The A7II models only claim working temps to 32f, but the Fuji down to 14f, which is much better for my style. I shoot mechanical film cameras and never think twice about the weather other than cleaning the lens. I'd like that same assurance with Sony, but think ultimately, Fuji's got that market.

V

Vivek

The good news is that the Sony sensors do not self destruct like some of those mechanical cam makers whose lenses are also very much fair weather products.

Yes, Fugi is the system to behold! :thumbs:

Added:

Leica MM sensor after 1 year in storage:

$7k camera, no less!

Last edited:

jdphoto

Wow! Is that fungus on the IR glass?
All digital cameras will be obsolete at some point, whether it be parts availability or shorter upgrade cycles. There's several different companies supplying components in just one camera body. Planned obsolescence has assured that every digital camera will eventually be worthless, but mechanical film cameras not so much. I've decided to offload my expensive digital gear in favor of film and perhaps the Xt2. The initial investment is more tolerable in this current "throw away" society.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The good news is that the Sony sensors do not self destruct like some of those mechanical cam makers whose lenses are also very much fair weather products.

Yes, Fugi is the system to behold! :thumbs:

Added:

Leica MM sensor after 1 year in storage:

$7k camera, no less!
:shocked: WTF? What did you do with it? Did it spend a year mounted outside the international space station? :facesmack:

Btw, NOW is the time to send it in to Leica for replacement under warranty.

V

Vivek

Left in a drawer (humidity <20%) while i was busy getting a few arteries of mine mended. None of my Sony cams were affected negatively. Also, none of the 100 plus lenses.

I will try to send it in for a sensor replacement ASAP.

:shocked: WTF? What did you do with it? Did it spend a year mounted outside the international space station? :facesmack:

Btw, NOW is the time to send it in to Leica for replacement under warranty.

iiiNelson

Left in a drawer (humidity <20%) while i was busy getting a few arteries of mine mended. None of my Sony cams were affected negatively. Also, none of the 100 plus lenses.

I will try to send it in for a sensor replacement ASAP.
Hence one of the big reasons I got out of Leica. Both of the sensors in my M9 and M9-P needed replacement. I've never experienced that from my Canon Digital Rebel (300D), Panasonic G1, or any of my Sony's. All of them still work to this day.

I almost feel like Leica is suffering from the toils of expedited unexpected market growth that many companies face in many industries when the economy of scale grows exponentially "overnight." Also see how Honda and Toyota quality has declined over the last 5-10 years, as well as, all of the issues that Hasselblad is experiencing in getting products out the door in a timely manner.

iiiNelson

I've owned the A7rII and have enjoyed the dynamic range and resolution. However, i'm reluctant to use this camera in inclement weather. I mean, rain showers, squalls and waterfalls. I'm aware that Sony has used language in its advertising to reduce their liability and the camera fairs well in intermittent conditions, but what's the point if your lenses are not weather resistant? The Fuji Xt2 and the WR lenses seem to be much better suited for adverse weather shooting. Fuji even proudly states this in their literature. The A7II models only claim working temps to 32f, but the Fuji down to 14f, which is much better for my style. I shoot mechanical film cameras and never think twice about the weather other than cleaning the lens. I'd like that same assurance with Sony, but think ultimately, Fuji's got that market.
I don't know that the Sony will hold up for your needs but I haven't personally had any issues with it. It's not on the level of a D5/1Dx by any means but I don't know that anything really is. There are those that had problems with the GH4/EM1 on YouTube when shooting in inclement weather. I have little experience with the durability of the Fuji's but perhaps they're more willing to stand behind their product if you experience a malfunction while shooting in inclement weather.

Take that for what you will.