The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SONY A7R III rumor

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Today I was checking the availability of the SONY A7R II at my dealer .
He has not listed that camera anymore but still the A7R . The same is valid for some other dealers .
CALUMET still has the body only for 2999 € . But I found a rumor mentioning a SONY A7R III .
Does anybody know a bit more about a SONY A7R III ? ? ?

V

Vivek

That was my understanding as well.

The OP is out of the loop?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
That was my understanding as well.

The OP is out of the loop?
I don't quite understand that expression .

My intention was to buy a A7R II body and I found that this body is not available with all dealers any more .
Now as there are rumors for a new model , I ask myself if it is worth waiting for a A7R III or shall I try to get a A7R II , as the price has already fallen . My dealers SONY trade in program has ended as well .

fotografz

It will be interesting wether there will be an A7R-III ... or will it be an A9R next? A higher meg version with a lot of the A9's new technology?

IMO, anything they bring next will be relatively expensive compared to the current price of the A7R-II ... (the 24 meg A9 is 2x the current price of the A7R-II).

- Marc

V

Vivek

The 12mp A7s was also >2X the price of the 24mp A7 or the latest 12mp crash cam with no monitor or EVF that costs even more than the A9.

mp count does not determine the capability of a camera and also the price.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
It will be interesting wether there will be an A7R-III ... or will it be an A9R next? A higher meg version with a lot of the A9's new technology?

IMO, anything they bring next will be relatively expensive compared to the current price of the A7R-II ... (the 24 meg A9 is 2x the current price of the A7R-II).

- Marc
Good arguments , Marc . Thank you .
Encourages me to go for a A7R II body only . Its not quite easy , as most offers I saw were A7R II body plus kit lenses , which I do not need , as I have a complete lens family from 10mm to 135mm .

tcdeveau

There's been a lot of talk/rumors of an A7RII successor and it's probably around the corner (see sonyalpharumors.com for example). If you need a camera today, I'd go forum/ebay shopping and get the A7RII used instead of new to soften the depreciation hit. If you don't need it anytime soon, I'd wait for the next version...but as mentioned above, it will probably be more expensive than the A7RII (I believe the A7RII was a pretty significant markup from the A7R when it was first announced).

V

Vivek

I don't know where you are located but the used prices are much more expensive than the new ebay/HK seller prices. Recently, one them offered it for €1850/shipped (duty/taxes paid). Currently, they are at ~2100€.

There's been a lot of talk/rumors of an A7RII successor and it's probably around the corner (see sonyalpharumors.com for example). If you need a camera today, I'd go forum/ebay shopping and get the A7RII used instead of new to soften the depreciation hit. If you don't need it anytime soon, I'd wait for the next version...but as mentioned above, it will probably be more expensive than the A7RII (I believe the A7RII was a pretty significant markup from the A7R when it was first announced).

tcdeveau

I don't know where you are located but the used prices are much more expensive than the new ebay/HK seller prices. Recently, one them offered it for €1850/shipped (duty/taxes paid). Currently, they are at ~2100€.
I'm in the US, where sadly prices have stayed higher. Cheapest I've seen them at retailers is ~$2700 USD for US non-import models (ie non-grey market). Ebay US has had some new non-US import/grey market models as low as $2200 new USD. I got mine used from a fellow GetDPI forum member for cheaper than new with extra sony branded batteries, an extra charger, and the really right stuff L-plate, so I saved a couple hundred dollars in accessories alone...but you're right, the used vs. new question is market-dependent.

iiiNelson

I'm in the US, where sadly prices have stayed higher. Cheapest I've seen them at retailers is ~$2700 USD for US non-import models (ie non-grey market). Ebay US has had some new non-US import/grey market models as low as $2200 new USD. I got mine used from a fellow GetDPI forum member for cheaper than new with extra sony branded batteries, an extra charger, and the really right stuff L-plate, so I saved a couple hundred dollars in accessories alone...but you're right, the used vs. new question is market-dependent.
Agreed the price in the IS has been pretty steadily holding until recently. I bought mine with grip for $3k a little over a year ago due to delays associated with the earthquake. I was gonna wait on mk3 versions but I'm glad I didn't because the A7RII is a substantial upgrade to the generation 1 cameras.

k-hawinkler

Agreed the price in the IS has been pretty steadily holding until recently. I bought mine with grip for $3k a little over a year ago due to delays associated with the earthquake. I was gonna wait on mk3 versions but I'm glad I didn't because the A7RII is a substantial upgrade to the generation 1 cameras.
Thanks Tre. Yes it is. I hope the A7R III will be as big a step forward as the A7R II is over the A7R I. :thumbs: :salute:
I am hoping for an A9R=A7R III. :facesmack: :grin:
The A9 is terrific when speed and/or high ISO is needed.

iiiNelson

Sony A7rII's were selling new for $2498 just a month or so ago. I looked at B&H a few days ago and they were back at $2998. Now they've recently dropped the price to $2698. Might be a good time to buy new. Here's a link...
Also, I read the next Sony camera will be announced in Nov. 2017, but you never know.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=sony a7rii&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=
Was that $2500 for a grey market because if so it's normal to see grey market in the $2-2500 range. Never saw a new A7RII advertised with proper warranty for less than $2700 (which is about what I paid for mine a little over a year ago).

Pradeep

The A7RII is definitely a significant improvement over the first version.

I usually buy/sell used gear through the user forums of photography websites that I visit. Either here or Naturescapes or FM. In general I've found that FM has the best choice of gear, but you need to make sure the seller has a good feedback. People go to great lengths to make sure their feedback is excellent on FM. Lately there was some criticism but if you are able to communicate well with the seller then there should be no problem. The prices are quite reasonable and sometimes you will hit a bargain but things go very fast when a really good deal comes up.

Christopher

The so called a7rIII has been "around the corners" for the last year... so I wouldn't hold my breath if you need a body now. The new camera will come, but nobody knows whether it will be here in October or end of the year.