The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma mc-11 vs metabones

Rawfa

I've read that the sigma mc-11 supports some advanced af features that the metabones does not support (lock-on af, eye af, PDAF on video mode). I was very excited about this but then I've read this article by Brian Smith How Good is Sigma's MC-11 Smart Adapter? where he has a list of compatible lenses. Some time has passed and I know there was a firmware update, so I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on which CANON lenses work with the MC-11 with all the advanced features. I have a 28mm 1.8, a 50mm 1.4 and a 85mm 1.8 that work perfectly for stills with the metabones (although many features are not supported and they don't have PDAF on video mode).

iiiNelson

Native features on the MC-11 only work with the selected lenses. Now the good thing is that Sigma periodically adds lenses to the list. Canon lenses do not retain all native features on the Sigma MC-11 adapter but native features like Eye AF are available with SOME Canon lenses with the newer Metabones update that was released late last fall for version 4 or 5 Smart Adapters. In general, a Canon lens will perform the same as a Sigma lens that isn't officially supported.

I don't adapt AF lenses really or own any non-Sony lenses any longer so I can't confirm performance but in general it's never going to work as well as native glass no matter what. I tried the Sigma 135 on the D810 and it focused quickly and accurately. When it works it does with the MC-11 but many have issues with lens hunting on many adapted lenses. Might be worth owning a Canon body for video and a Sony one for stills if you don't want to go with a complete kit of Sony lenses. It seems that you're going to compromise either in the lenses and the body and lenses seem to be the most important investment of the chain as more advanced bodies will always come down the line.

Rawfa

Many thanks for the info.
Sadly ANY imports in Brazil have a 65% customs tax...the usual price for a Sony A7RII here ranges around us$3500 to us$5000.

iiiNelson

Many thanks for the info.
Sadly ANY imports in Brazil have a 65% customs tax...the usual price for a Sony A7RII here ranges around us$3500 to us$5000.
Yeah you could legitimately fly to the USA, buy it, and go home for that cost more than likely.