The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7II: EVF/monitor assigned to function button

Makten

I just upgraded from an a7 to a7II, and the bloody EVF sensor is even more sensitive than on the a7. :scry: This drives me nuts, because I can't shoot with tilted screen close to my body without the camera switching to EVF.
Now, for some reason you can't assign a function button to switch between EVF and monitor on the a7 or a7II. But from what I've read, you can on the a7RII! :angry:

Has anyone come up with a solution? Or is it perhaps implemented in newer firmware? I'm on 3.20 now and I don't want to fiddle with it because of numerous reports of problems when updating FW.

V

Vivek

You can add a tiny piece of tape to one of the EVF's sensors (there are 2) to desensitize it. Experiment with the size and the location to get the optimal solution. There is a thread on it here from a while ago.

Makten

You can add a tiny piece of tape to one of the EVF's sensors (there are 2) to desensitize it. Experiment with the size and the location to get the optimal solution. There is a thread on it here from a while ago.
I actually tried that yesterday, but it only made it worse. :rolleyes: Maybe I should disassemble the eyepiece to see how it works. I suppose there's an IR diode and a sensor that "sees" the reflected IR when something is close enough. So dimming the diode (not the sensor!) seems like a good idea, if you know where it's located.

V

Vivek

How many seconds does it take to remove the eye cup? :rolleyes:

~1/3rd of the left sensor.

You do need to take the eye cup off. It slides upwards very easily. You slide it down afterwards. No need to take it apart.

Makten

How many seconds does it take to remove the eye cup? :rolleyes:

~1/3rd of the left sensor.

You do need to take the eye cup off. It slides upwards very easily. You slide it down afterwards. No need to take it apart.
I said eyepiece, not eyecup. :grin: And I meant to take off the whole thing with the small coverglass, to see how it looks behind it.
I've already removed the eyecup since I don't like it poking on my eyebrow. Makes the viewfinder nicer to use. :eek:

Edit: But OK, I'll try 1/3 from the left instead of 1/2 that I read somewhere.

Edit 2: Wohoo, it works! :salute: It turned out that the placement of the tape is extremely important. Half a millimeter too far in either direction and it won't work. Now the sensor is activated at ~2.5 cm from the eyepiece, which means I can have the screen touching my belly without blackout, and it only takes a fraction of a second to light up the EVF when I want to use it.

Thanks Vivek! Now let's hope the little piece of tape doesn't move. :chug: