The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FW updates: A9,A7II,A7RII,A7SII,A6300,A6500

davidstock

I'm seeing changes in A7RII focus behavior with the new firmware. I'm experiencing noticeably improved focus when I'm shooting stopped down past f8, at least in single focus mode. Focus lock is faster and more precise. The aperture opens up briefly, then stops down, which it did before as well. My speculation is that there's more PDAF being done before the lens stops down.

I've also noticed that in stopped-down manual focus, with setting effects OFF, my lenses now stay at a viewing aperture of around f5.6. This is a good solution, since it helps avoid focus shift, while still providing a reasonably bright and precise focus experience. Holding down a focus button or the shutter release stops the lens down to taking aperture.

Unfortunately, continuous autofocus is still poor when stopped down. The aperture stays fully closed after initial acquisition in both setting effect modes. So flash/studio photographers aren't going to be thrilled. I wonder why Sony didn't provide the option of focusing at f5.6, like they did with manual focus. Or even wide open, for lenses with no focus shift.

I've heard rumors that G Master lenses may have a different behavior than other lenses with this firmware. My own testing has been with the Zony 55 and Batis 85.

iiiNelson

On the A7ii update it says that it adds "live view display into custom button assignment." What exactly does that mean? I suppose it is too much to hope that it allows switching between the LCD and EVF by a button.

Anyone know?
I haven't updated my firmware yet but I assume that's what it means.

Shac

Hope this helps

Help Guide | Live View Display

Says:

Sets whether or not to show images altered with effects of the exposure compensation, white balance, [Creative Style], or [Picture Effect] on the screen.

MENU → (Custom Settings) → [Live View Display] → desired setting.

Menu item details

Setting Effect ON (default setting):
Displays Live View in conditions close to what your picture will look like as a result of applying all your settings. This setting is useful when you want to shoot pictures while checking the results of the shot on the Live View screen.

Setting Effect OFF:
Shows Live View without the effects of exposure compensation, white balance, [Creative Style], or [Picture Effect]. When this setting is used, you can easily check the image composition.
Live View is always displayed with the appropriate brightness even in [Manual Exposure] mode.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Don't know if it was an intended consequence but the LA-E4 and the Sony Zeiss 135 is significantly faster to focus with firmware version 4.00.