The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Street Photography

dpal

It's the article "A BRIEF HISTORY OF STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" by Michael Ernest Sweet, 21st May 2017.

camping

Thanks for this interesting link. The author is reviewing street photography from a historical perspective. George Washington Wilson, of the 1860s might be considered as being a street photographer – and he sometimes had people in his photographs (if they stayed in situ long enough). Wilson was a prolific photographer and left 10,000s of negatives – and became very wealthy from his “street photography.” He was also photographer to Queen Victoria.
I am sure that people living at the time of Wilson or the photographers (at their peak productive period) mentioned in the article did not appreciate their “art form.” The author summarizes characteristics/trends that he sees as being stepping stones in street photography - usually based on developments in photographic equipment or film. But how can we “see” how future writers will characterize the current diverse trends in today's photography and photographic technology?

Paul

V

Vivek

Paul, Thanks! :)

As the late great leader Deng Xiaoping once said, "to get rich is glorious".
I am a student of history. I dislike novices attempting to rewrite the facts and project themselves in that process.

Last edited:

dpal

My neighbor, who is a young photography student from Japan, told me that she was chastised for posting funny and sometimes slightly out of focused pictures at another site. We seemed to share the same taste in "street photography" and often go out shooting together. She was the who brought my attention to this article and asked for my opinion.
I am relieved that the contemporary feelings of my fellow SONY photographers are different here.
Thank you, Vivek.:)
By the way, who is Deng Xiaoping? Was he a famous Vietnamese photographer? Sorry, history was not my forte when I was in school.

V

Vivek

:shocked:

Chairman Deng was the great Chinese leader who radically transformed his country from its communist beginnings to a more prosperous nation. Most significantly, his reforms lifted hundreds of millions out of poverty.

dpal

:eek:

Thank you, Vivek.
I only studied American history when I was in school. It was quite a chore for me, trying to memorize all the names of our presidents. I almost flunked in my tests several times and scolded by my teachers. I was so happy when I picked Fine Arts as my major in college.
I have high respect for your worldly knowledge.