The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII's insane ISO!

Rawfa

I've been shooting more video these last years but I've recently upgrade from the A7II to the A7RII and I'm speechless regarding it's ISO. Back when I used the A7S and the D750 I was amazed at how good those cameras were shooting at iso 12000....I thought that the A7RII's iso performance would be on pair...it turns out iso 12000 is nothing for the A7RII! I'm absolutely blown away.

These 2 tests were shot at iso 104k! To me that is insane and beyond my wildest dreams. I would have been surprised if the A7RII had god iso 16000, but THIS! This is just crazy. I know this camera has been out for a while and this is probably old news for most, but I just HAD to share.

V

Vivek

Shooting into a point light source at 104K ISO, is that "insane"? :p

Glad you like it! :) I am yet to get one of these. But using the RX1R II that shares the same sensor, I know what you are talking about.

Enjoy! :)

iiiNelson

A7RII (and by default the RX1mkII) feel like a full generation ahead of the A7II to me even though only 4 or 5 months separate their release dates. I skipped the A7II completely and got the A7RII after realizing generation 3 bodies (and the A9) was going to be delayed due to the earthquake in Japan.

Rawfa

It's not that I'm like "Finally! Usable 104k iso!", but I just find it amazing that some years ago I shot a wedding with an A7 and I had to struggle to get some useful photos at iso 6400. Like 15 years ago I think most people would be happy to get usable iso 1600 :)

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I imagine that my age will be as time goes on a bit of an issue ...

But why would you bother ... get a monopod or a tripod and shoot at an ISO that allows you to capture
a decent DR and get a picture without movement.

Yes Sony sensors are the bomb ... unless you are trying to mimic alternative process emulsions or pinhole
lens captures ... there may be a limit to the edge you dance upon.

I have seen your other work and would encourage you to seek a bit more nuanced capture.

Bob

Rawfa

Kind of dificult to shoot a bunch of moving subjects on a tripod.

Like I said, I don't really see a situation where I would need such an extreme iso, but 3 generations ago iso 6400 was a limitation. Now 6400 is a piece of cake and this is a great thing...that's all.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Kind of dificult to shoot a bunch of moving subjects on a tripod.

Like I said, I don't really see a situation where I would need such an extreme iso, but 3 generations ago iso 6400 was a limitation. Now 6400 is a piece of cake and this is a great thing...that's all.
Sorry but none of your subjects seemed to be moving much .... and the static buildings are subject to your movement.

Bob