The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Has anyone tried the Astronomik clip filter?

kxl

I have a Sony A7R that was converted to full spectrum by Kolari. That allows me to use any IR filter (590nm, 665nm, 850nm, etc...) to shoot IR photos or a hot mirror filter to shoot 'normal' color images. That means that I must have a filter on every lens that I mount on my A7R.

Astronomik has an OWB (original white balance) clip filter that 'latches' on top of the sensor, so I won't need a hot mirror filter on every lens. The downside is that I have to remove the OWB clip filter to shoot IR, but that's okay. Astronomik makes a lot of filters used for astro photography, but I'm specifically interested in what they call an OWB filter.

Has anyone here used the Astronomik clip filter or any other clip filter? Any impact to IQ?

clip_filter_for_sony_alpha_7r_7s

V

Vivek

I will be able to answer your questions partially soon. I have their clear MC on order. I will let you know how it fits in a few days.

If satisfied, i might get their OWB filter as well (later).

These are long awaited filters for the Sony cams.

V

Vivek

Though there was immediate confirmation after my paypal payment, after 5 days, there is no indication of the filter being shipped.

I have asked for a refund.

If there is no answer for that i will take it up with pay pal

I will contact STC for my filters. Hopefully, they will honor an order promptly.

V

Vivek

The STC filter is on its way! cyclops optics notified that they shipped it!

I will not be surprised if that gets to me from HK before the one from Germany..

V

Vivek

The Astronomik clear filter artived. It fits nicely inside an A7/7r/7s. It is a plastic housing with some sponge in the back. The front that has the logo is a very thin plastic film glued on to the plastic housing. Lifting this off reveals the filter glass which is without doubt is of very high quality. Once the filter is in, there is very little room (not a surprise) in the optical well. Sony FE lenses are fine but a few of the adapted lenses from Leica can be safely ruled out.

I will comment on the STC filter when i get it.

scho

I am trying the Astronomic OWB clip filter in my A7r-FS. Two issues are weak IR filtering and vignetting when using rise/fall on a Cambo Actus. Shots below using auto WB.

Astronomic OWB no WB adjustment

Kolari CC filter no WB adjustment

Astronomic OWB custom WB

Kolari CC filter custom WB adjustment

V

Vivek

Carl, the absence of information (not just vignetting) in the shot using the Astronomik filter, is that with shift?

(FWIW, I did not find any imgae clipping with regular Sony mount lenses when used with an Astronomik filter)

scho

Carl, the absence of information (not just vignetting) in the shot using the Astronomik filter, is that with shift?
Yes, same shift setting for both shots using the Astronomic and with Astronomic removed and Kolari filter on lens.

V

Vivek

I have the STC filter as well. It is quite well made but for a major design flaw. About 0.2mm on the right hand side can be exposed (unfiltered) as there is some wiggle room. This is bound cause major problems -vignetting, light leak, WB issues, etc in actual use. I will contact STC (and Cyclops optics) to let them know.

I quite like STC's design but Astronomik is the winner without any doubt.

V

Vivek

I added a ND16 filter from STC. It has pretty much flat transmission from near UV to near IR. Fabulous glass! :thumbs:

V

Vivek

An update- the Astronomik filter got finger prints and attempts to clean made it dirtier. I would simply avoid this filter.

I converted my A7UV to A7FS (no filter and only the sensor cover glass). This gave a chance to check the STC 615nm cut filter (UV/IR cut filter or the “OWB” filter equivalent of Astronomik). It is briliant! :thumbs:

The total glass in the optical path now, with the STC filter in place is, 1.7mm, as opposed to the original stack’s thickness of 2.5mm. This, along with the lack of an AA filter helps with image clarity.

scho

Hi Vivek,

Do you know if they corrected the design flaw (gap)? Thinking of ordering one of the STC IR pass filters.

Regards,
Carl

I have the STC filter as well. It is quite well made but for a major design flaw. About 0.2mm on the right hand side can be exposed (unfiltered) as there is some wiggle room. This is bound cause major problems -vignetting, light leak, WB issues, etc in actual use. I will contact STC (and Cyclops optics) to let them know.

I quite like STC's design but Astronomik is the winner without any doubt.

V

Vivek

Hi Carl,

The information has been conveyed via cyclopsoptics. I do not think there has been a revision.

Fwiw, thusfar, there has been no trouble (either with the ND filter or the 615nm cut filter). I am confident enough to recommend that you order it. If does not work for you, i will take it. :)

Guy tested the ND filter in his A9 and found that it fits very snugly. I find it is quite loose in my A7 but not that much in my A7s. So, it could be a camera problem (just like the plastic lens mounts)than a filter design flaw!