The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony Possibly Working on MF System

V

Vivek

I hope that comes true as well as a curved sensor RX1r camera.

iiiNelson

I hope that comes true as well as a curved sensor RX1r camera.
Yeah it would be interesting to see this materialize. I sorta wonder if this will be something implemented in one of their cinema cameras first. Sony is one of the few major cinema camera manufacturers with a MF 65mm camera system similar to Arri or Panavision.

ggibson

I'd love to see the 35/1.8 curved full frame design as the next RX1 camera with an add-on wide angle converter to adapt it to the 18-25mm range.

I could even go for a fixed 28mm lens if the sensor is high res enough--I've found the Sony 28/2 to be pretty flexible with the A7rII's 42MP. Maybe an f1.7 like the Leica Q.

What I really want though is for the lens design to be pancake style or extending to give the camera a slim profile.

tcdeveau

Just a rumor and maybe it's more T&E than anything but this would be interesting if they made a "Texas A9."

Some additional info on the five Sony medium format lenses for the Sony curved sensor camera - sonyalpharumors sonyalpharumors
Haha I LOL'd at "Texas A9".

I read that a potential application of a curved sony MF sensor would be astrophotography, and I thought I read they've got a patent directed specifically towards this purpose. Very curious to see where that goes :watch:

EDIT: I see that the linked article discusses the patent and I should've opened the link first haha. Also, FWIW, that "patent" is just a patent application. Who knows if it will ever mature into an issued patent or an actual product but one can hope.