The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaning towards the A9

V

Vivek

I have a dedicated UV camera in an A7. I made this converting the stock A7 by getting rid of the UV/IR cut stack and replacing them with a Baader U 2" UV pass filter. This filter lets in light only from 310-390nm. All visible and IR is blocked. It allows for real time focus, compose and capture using the live view.

Just yesterday, couple of reflected UV shots using this camera (handheld).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

With the advent of clip filters like the Astronomik and STC, it is possible to have replaceable clip filters instead of dedicated UV or IR cameras thus saving a lot (weight, space, money, etc). I have an A7s and the old A7r. Both are less than desirable to convert. The A7r II is a possibility though I do prefer 24mp over 42mp (!).

The new A9 offers a lot of improvements over the A7- high ISO, IBIS, etc. Great AF would also be useful when used for visible or IR captures.

The only tiny doubt I have is the slight chance of an A7 III coming in the near future with the same sensor as the A9.

Does anyone have a crystal ball that shows that happening soon? :)

[Would there be a camera without the star eater and preferably with lossless RAWs?]