The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens adapters for Sony A7S

I am new to Sony Alphas, and I have a question about adapters, beyond “which one”.

A very long story short, I use two different camera set ups for landscape work, and I want to get an A7S to do Astrophotography, the occasional snap shot image beyond an iPhone, and as an emergency back up camera to the other two. Kit #1 is a Nikon D3x with all Zeiss MF primes, and #2 a Phase One XF with Schneider Kruznach prime lenses.

Money is not the issue, and I would like to buy one adapter each for both the Nikon & Phase One. From my quick research, I think Novoflex is the best choice.

My question is about aperture selection with both lens types; can you set the aperture via Aperture priority on the A7S? Or, does it default to the smallest aperture?

Slingers

Novoflex are one of the best adapters. There are cheaper adapters that can be the same as the novoflex but there will be less sample variation in adapter length for the novoflex. You can get lucky with the cheaper adapters and get a good one. One thing to note is that the A7S was the first with the new tougher mount so older adapters will be too tight for the A7S. The novoflex adapters most likely won't be too tight if it's new but it's a consideration if you see it second hand.

I have an A7S and just tested in Aperture priority mode with a manual adapter. The camera will not record the aperture you select in the EXIF but it will automatically select the shutter speed to match your aperture and ISO based on your selected exposure compensation. It's night here but I had the lens on f/2.8 and it selected 1/15, changed to f/5.6 and it reduced to 1/6 second.

I also have a electronic Nikon adapter from commlite. Some say the Zeiss MF lenses don't work with this adapter but my Zeiss 50/1.4 does. The camera will record the exif of the aperture if I set it to auto on the lenses and I can set the aperture in the camera. However with the electronic adapter only, the live view only shows the exposure at f/2 and when the shot is captured it is at the exposure selected in the camera.

My recommendation would be to use to a manual adapter from novoflex but I also have a voightlander Nikon F adapter I am happy with.

Update: I had an email exchange with a Sale Manager for Novoflex, and the Mamiya / Phase One options is a "no go" unless I get the old-school MF lenses.

I am however going with the Novoflex Nikon to Sony adapter.